Using Two hdds.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BBString

Hi Everyone.

I am trying to use a 40GB Fujistsu hdd with a 120GB Western Digital Hdd on the smae IDE line.

It is not working.

Initially I had my 40GB Fujitsu as the master and the Western Digital 120GB as the slave. At first my computer would run fine but after a few hours it would lock up and crash. When restarting the POST part would complete but when the XP logo comes up it would fade a little and crash.

A friend told me that his Western Digital would not run as a Slave so I switched them and had the Fujitsu as the slave. Again exactly the same problem happened after a few hours.

I have tried 'Cable Select', 'Master and Slave', 'Master w/Slave and Slave' jumper mode combinations but this has no difference.

I have recently upgraded my computer to a Althlon Barton XP 32000+, with an Asus Socket A motherboard and PC3200 512MB RAM.

I have checked the RAM by swapping it for older PC2100 256MB sticks but still the same.

Just in case this is relevent i have noticed that on the Fujitsu one of the pins is missing its top half and is slightly bend, however it does run fine on its own!

Also im getting long sweepy beeps which seems to resonate around my room!

God im so confused, I really have tried everything.

Please help

Anthony

Looks like you found the culprit already.
See if somehow you can straighten out that bent pin. Then try to make it a bit longer by carefully wrapping tinfoil around that shorter pin, to make it the same length as the other pins. No more than one layer, otherwise it wont fit anymore.
Then carefully put the IDE-connector back in, so it wont make contact with the adjacent pins.
If that does not work, try to extend that pin with a bit of solder (have someone hold the harddisk upright with the pins pointing down, then sort of let the solder "drip" down that short pin. It might just do the trick.

Brilliant ideas blackstuff, you also might want to try the other side ie cable, just put a little tinfoil in the relevant hole and hopefully the short pin will push it down and make contact. :)

It would be better to replace the whole pin, it's not more difficult than "extending" an old one with solder. It's likely to last longer too.

Update

Hi all

Thanks for your suggestions. The noise i mentioned is coming from my 40GB Fujistsu, so im pretty sure thats the problem.
The crashes happen whenever now, not just after a long period of time so that rules out overheating.

It runs ok on its own, Ive tried my other 120GB Western Digital with a different Seagate HDD and its fine but generally with the 40GB i get problems.

Anyone else recognise the long sweeping sounds?

I guess it must be the pin, really not gonna use tinfoil.. No Way! I dont think it would work. Gonna try and pull the pin out or solder a extra bit on.

Thanks for your help guys. If anyone has info or has experienced this before then let me know...

BB

It will probably work, but I wouldn't trust my data with it. (The foil idea)

What you need is a solder gun, some experience soldering, a heavy gauge wire and some good old fashioned do-it-right spirit. :)

I bought a brand new drive from Western Digital and it was actually missing a pin. I replaced the pin as mentioned, but I ended up returning it anyway just because.

Update

Hi all.

I've succesfully pulled out the pin, but still the crashes. it happened straight away again, just as the windows logo appeared!

Not sure anymore, I've only had the disk for 4 years, would it really be breaking?!

BB

what you need is to buy a new HD .. it would save you time ,maybe even money if you go with the soildering idea , a 40 gb HD is Appx $30 so what i would do get a new 1... if you have important date on it.. you should try ..if you know asking somebody for a ide adapter .. the 1n's that connecto to your usb port.. and pass all yuor data to the new 1.. but that is just me..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back