Using Wake on LAN to wake up a PC from a Macbook or iPhone 5

Speck13

Good day,

Is it possible to wake up a powered off PC (connected to a power source and the internet), from an external network on a Macbook Pro or iPhone 5?

The reason I ask for this specific request is because I travel for work and take my Macbook Pro and iPhone 5 with me on the trips. I have a PC back home (which is my primary computer). I often remote into that PC with my Macbook without a problem. But, from time to time, my power will go out, especially in the summer with all of the storms, and I need to wake my computer back up.

Can this be done externally on either of the devices I have? What do you guys recommend? I'm willing to play around with my router settings if need be (so long as it doesn't compromise my security).

P.S. I have enabled WOL on my PC through both the BIOS and System Properties in the OS.

Your help and advice is greatly appreciated,

Speck

You should be able to enable this in the bios.
I know on iMacs you can set them to reboot after a power failure. Not sure about PCs though.

@Speck13 how long are the power outages? If they are short, you may be able to get an APC battery backup to keep the system on during a short loss of power.

I know on iMacs you can set them to reboot after a power failure. Not sure about PCs though.

@Speck13 how long are the power outages? If they are short, you may be able to get an APC battery backup to keep the system on during a short loss of power.

Most PC have a way to adjust PC to start after a power outage. This is in the bios under power settings. He should also be able to set it to Wake On Lang in the bios to.

It's been a long time since I played w/ WOL. Pretty sure you have to set up port forwarding in the router so that the packets can get to the PC to wake it up. Think this was the part that I couldn't get to work, so wasn't able to wake it from outside the network. Worked fine from within.

Think I also set the PC in either hibernate or standby mode for WOL to work. Not a complete shutdown.

My first knee jerk reaction was "Auto restart after a power fail??" Never heard of it. But that's the good thing about hanging out and reading these forums... I learned something new. I also googled and found How to Make Your PC Restart Automatically After a Power Outage.

From reading, it looks like your PC would need have a newer BIOS option. The "Enable WOL" (that's been in BIOS for awhile) allows waking a computer up from standby/sleep mode, but not a re-boot after AC power up.

If your PC doesn't have the "restart" BIOS option, I second JC713's advice. Buy a UPS that could withstand (at least most) of your outages

Back