Using Wireless Internet (D-Link Router) and Gaming?

Status
Not open for further replies.

N1Hawk

Hey Guys,

I currently have high speed lite on a D-Link router wireless and I went to go play some Day of Defeat and my ping is all over the page ranging from 40 to 550 and that is on every server I play on. I was wondering if anyone can give me some info on how to set the router to make the game play faster? One computer is directly connected and is moving fast on game play but the wireless computer which is mine is not working any faster? Is there any ports on the router which we should open or any settings to make things faster?

I don't have the model # of the router right at the moment as i'm at work, but I get off at 9:30pm est time and would be able to post more info at that time.

P.S. Browsing is really slow too. Pages some times take ages to load.

Thanks

Ranging pings are normal with wireless setups.
You might want to try enabling Gaming Mode.
You also might want to fort ports: 1200 [UDP], 27000-27015 [UDP], 27020-27039 [TCP].

Enabling game mode on the router will open up a port, rather than fixing erratic pings (eg: Quake2: 27910).
Wireless is terrible for gaming, especially if you are refreshing games like BF2! Make sure no one else is using any of your bandwidth within your LAN while you are gaming ...

ok i'll open up gaming mode and then make sure no one else is downloading and I should be ok for speed and FPS at that time?

Opening up ports will not help your bandwidth issues. When you play your games from within your LAN (trusted zone) the necessary ports will open and remain open until you disconnect. Setting your router up in game mode is more for if you are setting up a game server of sorts.
Opening the ports up will put you at risk from portscans on the internet. If you have more than 1 PC within your LAN connected through your 1 internet connection, make sure the others are not in use while you are gaming.

Try your PC on a network cable connection; I'm sure your ping rate will not be erratic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back