Using your HDD in combination with SSD

Hi all,

So I recently purchased myself an SSD (120GB Kingston) on which I installed windows 7. I formated my HD I had (2.10TB WD) and I wanted to use this disk to install all my data and programs on. Anyhow every time I start up my desktop my HD drive gets scanned before windows start... When I try to install programs it gives me a hard time, errors, crashes, even opening files.

I tried formatting it again, disk management tells me the disk is healthy, ran chkdsk... Anyone?

Last edited:
Just install productivity (browsers, Adobe, Office, etc) stuff on the SSD, 120GB is plenty. Install games and have your media on the 2TB.

What I do:
  • Have SSD as C:, slow hard drive as E: for example.
  • I created Program Files, Program Files (x86) folders on the 2TB drive.
  • When installing programs, I can quickly choose where to install to. SSD - leave install path as C:\Program Files\blahblah. If it's a game or something, I just change the single letter C to E and it's done.
  • I changed the location of my Video/Music/etc Libraries to folders I created on hard drive.

I did do that all, even followed that tutorials guys...

As I stated the problem is that the HDD is now failing and I don't know why!

You might need to run the HDD manufacturer provided diagnostic tool (e.g. WD Lifeguard or Seatools) to diagnose and check the integrity and health status of the drive.

Thank you for the tip Frozwire, I did a quick scan which showed no result with WD lifeguard. Started the full scan before leaving to work so I'll see tonight if that process found something. I do find it strange though that there is no smart status available next to my HD.

Thank you for the tip Frozwire, I did a quick scan which showed no result with WD lifeguard. Started the full scan before leaving to work so I'll see tonight if that process found something. I do find it strange though that there is no smart status available next to my HD.
You need SMART monitoring enabled on motherboard (sometimes disabled by default) and AHCI HDD mode I believe.

Well I scanned the device twice with WD lifeguard, the report said the test was okay. So I'm just going to wait if the problem is still there.

@St1ckM4n My other drives do show the smart status though!

Hey guys, still I get corrupted files, can't install programs, download files to the drive... What other options do I have? I did a full scan 2 times now with WD lifeguard!

I would submit an RMA request. I've done it before with drives that passed SeaTools but I knew were failing. There should be a process to do that with WD even if it doesn't fail Lifeguard tests, simply based on what you are seeing. I would try to do it online, but if there isn't a way to do an RMA without an error code for WD I would then call them up and get the process started. What you are seeing is not acceptable and they should replace the drive.

Hey guys, still I get corrupted files, can't install programs, download files to the drive... What other options do I have? I did a full scan 2 times now with WD lifeguard!
Have you tried replacing the SATA cables or swapping SATA ports? or also you may try to use HDDscan or MHDD to do a low level diagnostics of your hard drive otherwise what SNGX1275 has suggested would fit.

Back