TechSpot

Using your TV as a 2nd Monitor

By Shad
Aug 7, 2006
  1. I know there are several ways of doing so, my friend have a very simple way and just runs a cable from his graphics card to his TV but i aint sure how.....

i have a Nivada Gforce4 MX 420, but i dunno if this would work?

2. es84

es84 TS Rookie Posts: 65

hhi
    u need a s video out on the video card
    tehn go to disply porperties and enable it,
    i am sure that the MX 420 cards were shipped with S video port ,u need to check if your card has one , resti is simple , just need to connect the card and the TV and then the settings from the display properties

3. N3051M

N3051M TS Rookie Posts: 2,800

Furthuring to es84's advice, the card you mention does not have a s-video out, that is, if i'm looking at the same one we're talking about

http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/video/display/gf4-mx420.html

If you wish to run the pc through the tv then i'm afraid you'll need to upgrade that card to one with a s-video port. It looks similar to the plug for a PS/2 mouse/keyboard but black in colour (most of the time)

4. es84

5. KingCody

KingCody TS Guru Posts: 1,568   +7

you could also try something like this

cheers :wave:

6. Rage_3K_Moiz

Rage_3K_Moiz Sith Lord Posts: 7,290   +25

The only thing u need to do then is hook up the TV with the cable and enable it through the NVIDIA control panel. If it doesn't detect ur TV, there is a force tv detection checkbox u can use to make it detect ur TV. U won't have to use it though I think.

7. Shad

Shad TS Rookie Topic Starter

8. Shad

Shad TS Rookie Topic Starter

ok i have the port and my graphics card will allow duel monitors, what cable is it i need ?

9. es84

hi '
    u need a s vdeo cable
    theen go to the display properties and c lick on monitor , u should see 4 displays pictures there , then make sure that teh check mark on the TV is green,and then u are good to gett vido on the TV

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.