USR8003 Router Connection Issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

exero

3 days ago I bought a USR8003 router for my cable modem, everything was perfect, until the next day when I found myself without connection, I had to disconnect and connect the router again in order to restore the network. Im not sure where to start to solve the problem besides asking here.

I have comcast broadband, and without the router connected the internet never disconnects, so im pretty sure its the router. I have 2 computers hooked up to it, and they both have different IP's when i check IPconfig.

Router Link:
http://www.usr.com/support/product-template.asp?prod=8003

Thanks in advance.

Does your router have the latest firmware installed?

When the disconnection occurs, is the router still operable? (Can you access the setup pages?)

Did you configure the router to reconnect automatically and never disconnect?

Ok thanks, I upgraded firmware, and also set up the static IP settings, and it seems to be working better. I looked in the event viewer and found the error:

Event Type: Error
Event Source: Dhcp
Event Category: None
Event ID: 1002
Date: 12/22/2005
Time: 1:41:58 PM
User: N/A
Computer:
Description:
The IP address lease 192.168.123.100 for the Network Card with network address 0013D4BE16F8 has been denied by the DHCP server 192.168.123.254 (The DHCP Server sent a DHCPNACK message).

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

-Once i set up the static IP for both the two computers, the error nor the problem has shown up again. Hopefully its working now.

EDIT: I also had another question, i was looking through the router settings and saw the "Remaining Lease Time", what exactly is this? Thank you!

The lease time is the amount of time the IP address assigned via DHCP "belongs" to a client. If the client has not renewed its lease, then the IP address is put back to the free addresses pool. Usually the computers try to renew their leases after half of the time has passed. The attempts get more desperate and frequent as the lease end time gets closer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back