V.90 downshifting to v.34

Status
Not open for further replies.

z0k!

I am having this persisting problem with my dialup.it gives me v.90 speeds when i connect but downshifts to v.34 speeds after a couple of hours.therefore i have to reconnect to get v.90 speeds but the problem keeps on persisting after every couple of hrs.the interval varies though but its usually after 2-3hrs.

checks iv aleady performed:

• modem defect---i had a new one,but just to be sure that it wasnt the modem,i got it replaced with an even newer one. [it's an intel based dual chipset modem]
  • isp.....iv got them on the phone severa; times but they dont seem to get it.its not even practically possible according to them.though their helpline sucks,their service is good.i get around 6k as long as it stays in v.90 mode,which i guess is pretty good for dialup.

after all my observations,i am coming to a conclusion that it might be my firewall coz recently i wasnt getting to browse or download when i connected.reconnected three times but in vain.called isp,they told me everything was ok at their end.so i tried disabling the firewall and the net started working fine.

is there a possibility of that being true?

i use zonealarm pro,which is supposed to be good,but are their any other good firewalls that can help my cause?

try sunbelt keiro personal firewall.. some things in zonealarm firewalls may screw up with certain connections and programs...

have you tried updateing your drivers for the modem?

unfortunately my manufacturer doesnt have any support on the web.intel does provide some generic drivers but recommends the manufacturer is the best place to go for drivers.and as i said my modem is new so it must have been be shipped with the latest drivers,besides modems are a stale technology now,i dont think there are updates for drivers from even other manufacturers.

zonealarm used to be good but now i think it hasnt been able to maintain its standard.even features like ad-blocker and popup blocker dont work good now.they were fine in previous versions like a year ago

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back