TechSpot

Valve brings in-game music playback and control to SteamOS and Big Picture mode

By Shawn Knight
Feb 4, 2014
Post New Reply
  1. Playing your favorite game on Steam while listening to your favorite tunes in the background will soon be much more convenient. That's because Valve is now beta testing a new feature called Steam Music that brings your audio collection right...

Read more

2. Next is on the pipeline should be Steam Video with hardware acceleration. The music feature will be good but the ability to watch movies will take it to another level. If you can buy the movies from Steam as well that would be really cool.

I just love the PC platform.

4. wastedkill

wastedkill TS Evangelist Posts: 1,389   +329

Steamflix

5. Ranger12

Ranger12 TS Guru Posts: 620   +118

Would like to to see integration with Spotify/Pandora/Apple Radio

6. cliffordcooley

cliffordcooley TS Guardian Fighter Posts: 8,549   +2,894

Is it just me or does that have a perversion ring to it? Probably just me, maybe I should have kept quiet. lol

waqasr, St1ckM4n and Ranger12 like this.
  7. Adhmuz

Adhmuz TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,648   +521

Sweet, so Steam OS can now do two things at once, excellent, at this rate maybe it will give windows a run for it's money in two to three years. Wasn't aware in-game music playback was a big deal, guess I'm just used to Alt-Tabing or using my hotkeys to change tracks ect.

8. @ Admuz: Actually you can run thousands of Linux applications since it is based on Debian. Which means you will be able to do everything on it that you can do on Windows. Apart from running exclusive software (without a Windows emulator), like Photoshop, Visual Studio, etc... of course there are alternatives, but they don't all match up to their Windows counterparts. Luckily with a company like Valve behind Steam OS, there will be more and more companies supporting Linux.

cliffordcooley likes this.
  9. Trillionsin

Trillionsin TS Evangelist Posts: 1,315   +133

Gosh. I've only been desiring to have a feature like this on the Playstation and Xbox... now that I game on the PC I dont need it. Steam comes up with it and it's a big deal? Lol... this is a joke right?

As if I couldnt play my own music while playing PC games already.... now Steam adds a feature for it? Useless unless utilized in multiple ways.

I guess some people just want a fancy GUI interface to browse through their music.