Valve cofounder explains Steam's ongoing price experiments

By Matthew
Oct 24, 2011
Post New Reply
  1. Valve boss Gabe Newell has offered an interesting glimpse at the inner workings of Steam's promotional and economic strategies during a powwow with other industry leaders at a recent Seattleā€¦

Read the whole story
  2. TomSEA

TomSEA TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,550   +594

Smart folks they are. Gotta give them all the credit in the world for turning PC retail game sales upside down from the "old" brick and mortar days.
  3. Cueto_99

Cueto_99 TS Booster Posts: 248   +12

EA... you gotta learn something from this... really...
  4. fimbles

fimbles TS Evangelist Posts: 1,158   +197

Forward thinking, Got to give them credit.
  5. Got to give them credit. x3
  6. Cota

Cota TS Enthusiast Posts: 513   +8

Am i the only one that finds literally logic the fact that lower prices beats piracy?

This sounds like something Captain Hindsight would say =D
  7. I went from 99% piracy (I paid for TellTale Games because I felt they deserved it and the price was fair, but only after I downloaded and played the pirate version first) to 1% piracy since joining steam. Usually I wait until the game's on sale and after all the DLC has been released before buying, unless it's an indie game, in which case I'll pay full price to support the developer. The only times I can be bothered to pirate a game now is if the publishers are being *******s and trying to rip people off with overpriced DLC that was clearly ready to go on release day but cut so they could charge for it later or stupid DRM schemes.
  8. ramonsterns

ramonsterns TS Enthusiast Posts: 744   +12

It's called Origin.
  9. yea, i would buy from steam. pc games plays better, their cheaper, easy updates and your pc is multi-more-purpose. however, zsnes emulator and the classic old games are good enough for me; not is the fancy stuff.
  10. nickblame

nickblame TS Enthusiast Posts: 43

Yes steam always does expirements on prices. my favorite was the one that skipped currency rates and established that 1dollar=1euro. GTAIV price suddenly rose by a quarter percent over a night back then. This was and is really inconsiderate.
  11. gwailo247

gwailo247 TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,011   +18

Yeah, I'm not paying $1 = 1euro while I'm in Europe. Screw that. Same game, same content, not worth it.
  12. Burty117

Burty117 TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,887   +644

No, I mean, your right in the fact that it is competition, but EA needs to learn that selling there games for more on Origin is not the way your going to get people to use your service.
  13. BTW: Does TechSpot still play TF2 on Friday nights?
  14. nazartp

nazartp TS Enthusiast Posts: 178   +12

I remember I was really pissed when my son and I bought HalfLife 2 and it required to install Steam to play. Buy, have the times changed. I now don't buy games unless they are on Steam. Painless updates, play from any computer - just great.
  15. TitoBXNY

TitoBXNY TS Addict Posts: 225   +46

I remember the naysayers back when Newell was first pushing steam. Valve is so far ahead of the rest it's embarrassing. I was one those that loved going to get a hard copy at Software Etc or EB but caved to the simplicity that Steam provides. I will still get a Diablo 3 and SWTOR Special Editions, but just about everything else will come from Steam.
  16. Kibaruk

Kibaruk TechSpot Paladin Posts: 2,408   +464

This was me, I still won't pay for singleplayer games, since I get them and play for a couple of days until they bored the crap out of me, the only game I will buy is New Vegas once it is on sale =) the Fallout series are the exception to this rule.
  17. Burty117

Burty117 TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,887   +644

What about the Elder Scrolls series? they all are awesome and you can spends 100's if not 1000's of hours on those beasts! I think I racked up over 300+ hours on Oblivion on one character! :S
  18. 9Nails

9Nails TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,212   +174

It's a brave company to try these sales risks, but it provided insight so valuable that Steam is in a better position for having attempted it. I have to give them credit for this.
  19. greatman05

greatman05 TS Maniac Posts: 429

I used to hate Steam...until I found out that the download size was just how big the full install would be. Then I calmed down and became happy :)

It's just more convenient now especially when you consider that the physical media requires all of this verification whereas I believe Steam doesn't require as much? Correct me if I'm wrong here.

They also have great prices too; I'm still waiting to get enough money and a new computer for Psychonauts. I've always wanted to play that game; it sounds fun.
  20. LNCPapa

LNCPapa TS Special Forces Posts: 4,202   +422

You shouldn't need a new computer for Psychonauts - you should be able to run it just fine with your current rig. It's a pretty old game and you're right, it is pretty good.
  21. greatman05

greatman05 TS Maniac Posts: 429

My 1st system is down currently; trying to see if it's actually gonna get repaired by the OEM or not. The 2nd one is my gma's and I'm at college and on campus currently so of course that's inconvenient :(
  22. Zecias

Zecias TS Booster Posts: 202

They make more money, we save. Win-Win situation. Why aren't all companies like this?
  23. spydercanopus

spydercanopus TS Evangelist Posts: 810   +93

This must explain duke nukem's drop from $50 to a $10 special after just a month.
  24. 'Origin'? Thats not called learning. Thats called saying "Look, we can do better than Steam, nyeeeeeh" and falling flat on your face.
  25. "I remember I was really pissed when my son and I bought HalfLife 2 and it required to install Steam to play."

Are you the angry dad complaining about Steam locking HL2 to one PC only? I remember that being the reason why I laid off Steam in the first years. Of course, they fixed that and now it is the best platform for selling games. :)