Valve launches redesigned Steam store

Scorpus

Staff member

Valve has rolled out an all-new interface for the Steam store homepage today, with an emphasis on making it easier to discover content you'll enjoy. The new design, codenamed the "Discovery Update 2.0", only modifies the homepage but introduces a number of handy additions.

The most obvious change is the cleaner visual style and interface with a large, scrolling carousel at the top. The entire storefront feels more modern, and places the most important features of Steam front and center. Deals and discounts, for example, now occupy a much larger space directly below the featured games section.

Quick access links are found on the left side, and include easy ways to view top sellers, VR-only games, recommendations and more. Scrolling down the page reveals activity from your friends, a large section from curators, and a sliding panel for games in your collection or wishlist that have been updated.

While this is a significant update for Steam's homepage, Valve hasn't updated any other area of the interface. Store pages for games remain the same, and the actual Steam application is unchanged (the Steam app just loads the Steam store webpage).

You can access the new Steam interface right now via the app, or the Steam website.

Permalink to story.

I find they could have done better with the layout, things are not properly taking advantage of the full screen space. Especially on what's the majority resolution, according to their own hardware survey.

The listings are very much skewed to the right, there's no real proper use of the full available space and you can't easily adjust UI scaling. Sure you can use skins and various other means to adjust their changes, but they should know what's reasonable and not make it look like it's wasting space. Should always be something they understand, but I think the prior layout was better for making use of said space.

While the store page doesn't really feel any different, I can't help but comment on the image with this article in saying that Democracy 3 is a pretty good game and well worth the price.

"(the Steam app just loads the Steam store webpage)."

So now it is just a wrapper for the website? Where did this information come from, or am I misunderstanding?

The update is worth the price of admission just for the ability to block all those early access titles.

Still not interested. Rather irrelevant to me no matter what.

And yet...

"(the Steam app just loads the Steam store webpage)."

So now it is just a wrapper for the website? Where did this information come from, or am I misunderstanding?

He's oversimplifying things, there's a lot more to Steam than the store but he's kinda right; Steam integrates the Chromium browser to display the store page.

I wish they stopped using carousels all around. It's annoying, it doesn't help with navigation, adds script time load and memory usage, and it normally is extremely annoying to go through the information.

The rest of it looks like said already, cleaner, usage of "white" space helps a lot.

Back