Valve reveals design of prototype Steam Machine

Scorpus

Staff member

valve steam machine steam prototype pc gaming gaming pc

The launch of the next-generation consoles isn't too far away, and Valve wants to get in on the party, having recently shown off the design of their prototype Steam Machine. The system, which has been developed as a reference design and likely won't be released to the public, features impressive hardware in a case similar to that of a standard home console such as the Xbox 360.

Valve has managed to cram an Intel Core i7 CPU, Nvidia GeForce GTX 780, a full power supply, motherboard and hard drive into the relatively compact case, which features a unique cooling solution. Rather than your traditional desktop PC, Valve's Steam Machine has three cooling zones that are separated by plastic: the GPU vents air to the back, the CPU to the top and the PSU out the side. Each zone also pulls air from different areas, which should help cool each part reasonably well.

SteamOS, a Linux-based operating system that will be preloaded on every Steam Machine, looks very similar to Steam's Big Picture mode, and is said to function well. Gamers will have access to the full library of Steam games, either through their Linux ports or streaming from a Windows-based PC in your house. If you'd prefer to install Windows to have native access to your game library, the Steam Machine is essentially a small form factor PC, so you should have no trouble doing that yourself.

valve steam machine steam prototype pc gaming gaming pc

As far as the Steam Controller is concerned, the Valve-manufactured unit will be bundled with every Steam Machine, and it will also be available to purchase separately. The Controller will take a bit of getting used to, according to those who used it at Valve's demo event, but its touchpads are surprisingly accurate compared to traditional analog sticks seen in the PlayStation and Xbox gamepads.

Valve will be making more announcements regarding Steam Machine hardware and software partners at CES 2014, with systems expected to go on sale mid next year in a range of different performance brackets and sizes.

Permalink to story.

The "console system" for PC gamers.

I do like the specs but I'll reserve judgement when I see how many games can be played on Linux or how well the Steam OS preforms against the old favorites.

Why does this need to stream content from a PC? There isn't a whole lot that you can't do game wise with an i7 and a GTX 780 driving a 1080p TV.

For the life of me I just cannot see the sense in this 'PC console'. Why can't you just run this SteamOS straight from your rig? Kinda defeats the joy of assembling your own gaming rig as well.

@ 9Nails : With proper driver support, games will play better on Linux than Windows. Microsoft only controls the market because of DirectX. Valve is going to change that.

For the life of me I just cannot see the sense in this 'PC console'. Why can't you just run this SteamOS straight from your rig? Kinda defeats the joy of assembling your own gaming rig as well.

Valve said that you will be able to run SteamOS standalone on existing PC hardware

9Nails : With proper driver support, games will play better on Linux than Windows. Microsoft only controls the market because of DirectX. Valve is going to change that.
I certainly hope so. It is time MS learned a valuable lesson. You don't remain on top, by ignoring consumer desires. It goes against the concept of supply and demand, by ignoring demand.

Valve said that you will be able to run SteamOS standalone on existing PC hardware

I read that. I want to know what the use of buying this thing? Just chuck on the SteamOS, buy a controller or two and Bob's your auntie. Save's a packet as well.

I certainly hope so. It is time MS learned a valuable lesson. You don't remain on top, by ignoring consumer desires. It goes against the concept of supply and demand, by ignoring demand.

Maybe MS will incorporate the Mantle API in their next round of monthly updates. XP

I read that. I want to know what the use of buying this thing? Just chuck on the SteamOS, buy a controller or two and Bob's your auntie. Save's a packet as well.

Lol yup that's exactly what I do. I guess Valve assumes that there will be many PC gamers out there that DO NOT build/upgrade/frankenstein their own machines.

They're going to be in for a big surprise when it doesn't sell because of price standpoint.

Actually if it is priced fairly, I think it will sell well. I have a few console gamer friends who want to switch to PC gaming, they're excited to buy a Steam Machine.

So its a gaming pc..with linux on it. I don't get it I really don't. You can already buy gaming pcs. Further more if you are a pc gamer you most likely build you own rig to suite your needs and budget. Then there is the linux issue (no explanation needed), plus steam's big picture is already available with steam. So what's the purpose of this again and who is it for? The only way I can see this taking off is if its to cheap to pass up, which in-turn will boost sales and maybe cause game devs to develop more games for linux. I really don't see that happening though.

So its a gaming pc..with linux on it. I don't get it I really don't. You can already buy gaming pcs. Further more if you are a pc gamer you most likely build you own rig to suite your needs and budget.
From a PC gamer, PC builder, Windows user perspective you probably wouldn't understand. Keep in mind I am all three and wanting to think there is more to gaming than those three perspectives.
  1. There are people that want to get away from Windows.
  2. There are people that don't build their own machines.
  3. There are people who want steam in the form of a console.
  4. And there are people who fits all three categories.
I myself fits two of the categories and even though I do build my own PC, it would be nice if there were options available for those who don't.

Up till now there has been little incentive for me personally to use Linux. Speaking of issues involved in Linux, but then when in the past has Linux community had reason to consolidate efforts in fixing these issues based on popularity? The Linux community has been so scattered (with many distro variants) and few in numbers, there is no wonder there has been issues. But then here we are condemning them for being less fortunate. Now that the tides are turning in favor of what could be a better and most certainly cheaper OS alternative, we are asking "Why? I don't understand!". I can't help but wonder how the Linux community would respond to a single Linux Distro, if it becomes popular enough to warrant superior support.

Valve's idea is to introduce PC gaming to a wider audience. People who do not know how to assemble a PC and want to use it mainly for gaming in the living room... The user is still going to have to choose between the 3 performance levels but it will be much less confusing for a novice user.
Also I am guessing they will work on making it easier to contact to a TV (not saying it hard now).

For a person who knows how a PC works and plays games on it, SteamBoxes might not be completely obvious as to why Valve are doing it. But if you stand back and don't be a snob, and assume that everyone knows how to build a gaming PC, it is easy to see why this can work pretty well.

Also if this sells well and Valve are able to cut better deals on the hardware with Intel/AMD/nVidia the prices may become more attractive.

All in all I think this is a good thing and I am really looking forward to it and trying out the controller.

If your fan of having a console because your not really into the PC lingo then I could see someone getting a Steam console for the sole purpose of getting Steam deals.

I think a lot of people are missing what valve is trying to do here.
-Make an interface that's livingroom friendly, which they've already done with steam big picture mode.
-Livingroom friendly hardware. Try building a pc with a case like the valve prototype, there's not very many case options.
-Make it as easy as owning a game console to use, SteamOS does this, turn it on and there you go.
-Allow for community driven contribution and customization, that's the spirit of Linux. I expect XBMC integration, emulators, all sorts of forks and mods, all with the focus on being a controller driven livingroom experience. Like a modded game console without all the negative effects like getting kicked off the network.

Ya duh anyone can build a pc and hook it up to the tv. But this whole thing is gonna be much more tailored for that specifically and make it a much better experience. Only thing missing is the AAA titles being available on Linux natively, but there's already a slew of developers targeting this. And once that happens, look out Windows, lack of games on Linux is about the only thing keeping a lot of people from jumping ship.

New updates:
Windows: another update?
Mac: Great! Shutup and take my money
Linux: I have created this update.
SteamOS: ?????

cant wait

Why does this need to stream content from a PC? There isn't a whole lot that you can't do game wise with an i7 and a GTX 780 driving a 1080p TV.

Because not all steam machines are equal. Essentially you could build a powerhouse server and then put several lower spec steam machines in different rooms around the house allowing all of them to play you games.

For those wondering how many games will be playable on SteamBoxes...

The *MAIN* reason Linux has been shunned for so long by studios is that it was a complete unknown. Few metrics because there was no "market" data on the OS (Even though the market data on Windows and OSX were quite off and wrong...) When you look at the debacle of Quake 3 : Arena wherein Loki Games ordered 50k units pressed and 50k metal tins that delayed the ship date coupled with the ability to "patch" a Windows or OSX install...the numbers were bleak (200...) It took the HumbleBundles to show that there was a market for things. In truth, I run things like WoW FASTER under WINE than on Windows. If you've got an OSX title, most of the gaming API hooks are identical for Linux- so it's as often as not a clean port (As an aside... I professionally port games from Windows/OSX to Linux for Indie studios, so I've done this for several games already...).

It makes quite a bit of sense from Valve's perspective and if you're using Steam and Source, it's a no-brainer to get it there. From the perspective of other titles, many of the engines either officially or unofficially support Linux out of box. There's been a move to get more of them that way with Steam being in Beta for Linux. How many titles will be playable at start? Who knows. Probably about the same as the other consoles. There's only about 20-30 titles right now on PS4 and X-Box One for launch. I strongly suspect the same story, possibly slightly better for the SteamBox.

After reading these comments, I feel I should inform a few folks here as to what's what.
First off - I am a Linux user, and have been since 2001, so I think I can say I'm "knowledgeable" about the topic. Someone had commented that Linux is "scattered"? Linux is more unified than many proprietary software vendors!...who struggle to interact within their different departments without stepping on each others toes, Linux on the other hand, although it has many "tentacles" in the form of the thousands of distros from different parts of the world, and using different software packages, desktop environments, core server utilities and the like, they all connect back to the "mother brain", that being the Linux Kernel, in that one piece of code there is no change or difference, whether you're using Red Hat Enterprise Linux, SUSE Linux, Fedora, Ubuntu, Mint, Oracle etc. which has hundreds.....no thousands.....of people using it....developing it...designing new features for it...and those numbers are increasing every day...and not just in the private sector either....some foreign government agencies and departments have made the switch or are in the process of making it, to open source software in order to reduce licensing costs.....so they're not "small in numbers"... Now, the purpose of the SteamBox wasn't so much a "supply / demand" decision, this device being built will be sold commercially, but that was more of an afterthought, as the first time it was mentioned it was more of a "I Wonder What Would Happen If..." idea.....the developers and coders of the Open Source community are a curious bunch and sometimes they will compile a binary code...create a new application..hack a device.....design some new software, just because they want to see if it will work and /or what the results will look like...not for fame & fortune. The fact that this idea has taken off to such an extent that they're in the R&D - QA- Final Design - Marketing phases shows that this idea WILL sell...and sell WELL, not because someone is out to "stick it" to Microsoft, or any other gaming console, but because the open source community is clamoring for it. For those who cannot "understand" it's purpose....or why they should spend their hard earned money for one, that simply means that it's not for you, for those who are looking for it to supplant or overtake the other gaming consoles, or who are waiting for this gigantic list of games to play, you may have a long time to wait......OR.....you might have that before the summer of '14....see...the developers in the open source community can be a picky bunch, they might all band together and get Call Of Duty up & running in the blink of an eye, or they might go the true "open source" route, and shy away from the big name game companies, and design and build their OWN version of C.O.D....maybe give it some things that don't come with C.O.D. like a totally destroy-able interactive environment....(e.g. imagine you have to get through a town or village, normally you could shoot a few windows or blow holes in walls.....but what if you could just completely LEVEL the town?.....and leave nothing standing?.....ya can't do that in C.O.D...I know.....I've TRIED! LoL!) or maybe there could be other benefits to it....overall it's just a different mindset that is needed to approach the SteamBox as something other than just a "Linux version of a console" it could be a whole lot more. And while there is the fact that....should you be so inclined, and should you have the necessary amount of money, you could build your own gaming PC....you have to remember that not everyone has the ability to put one together from scratch, and not everyone has the money to buy a "super-powered" gaming monster. And finally, as much as the gaming industry is fun, and filled with awesome games from every genre, just like the world of technology, there's always room for more, and even if the Steambox were to take off and sell a trillion-thousand units, I doubt it would "replace" either Microsoft...or PlayStations....

That's what's cool about it! If you want, you can totally build your own rig and run SteamOS on it, but there are people out there that think building a computer is the most complicated thing one can do and would prefer to have something pre-made.

Back