TechSpot

Valve shows off virtual reality headset prototype at Boston meet-up

By Shawn Knight
Jun 4, 2014
Post New Reply
  1. Oculus VR has been at the center of virtual reality headlines for nearly two years but there's another device in the works from a gaming juggernaut that could give the Oculus Rift a run for its money - that is,...

Read more

2. VitalyT

VitalyT Russ-Puss Posts: 3,154   +1,429

Thank you, Valve, I've been enjoying the product immensely ;)
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 4, 2014
  3. Misagt

Misagt TS Booster Posts: 100   +43

All I can say is go Valve! I hope this becomes the standard as I personally have no faith in Occulus anymore as I doubt it will have much of a focus on gaming anymore.

4. MilwaukeeMike

MilwaukeeMike TS Evangelist Posts: 2,750   +1,105

Why because it's owned by Facebook? True, the general fear when FB bought them was that it was going to be used for News Feed ads and Farmville. But that's not really what they're planning. It will be it's own gaming console, and because it's owned by FB, it'll be a total communication device, not just for gaming.

You'll be able to share experiences, not just video and pictures. Imagine Skype with someone who's on vacation... you can see and hear exactly what they're seeing and hearing. Imagine if they setup the right Rift cameras on the sideline of a sporting event. You'll be able to experience the game from the best seat in the house. That's what FB is planning. VR could be a new communication medium.. not just a cool a gaming device.

The other reason the Rift may be awesome is BECAUSE it's owned by FB. FB has a huge bank account, and that means the Rift won't need to make a profit when they sell it. That means, if they want to sell it for $300, they can put $300 worth of hardware in there. Steam may only be able to put $200 worth of hardware in the same device.

Read this for the whole story about the Rift. You may not be so wary afterward.
    http://www.wired.com/magazine/

5. Skidmarksdeluxe

Skidmarksdeluxe TS Evangelist Posts: 6,498   +2,051

I'll give this VR stuff a good few years to settle down a bit and become more mainstream. I wouldn't be caught dead with any of those monstrosities I've seen stuck to my face as they stand at the moment. They can use the early adopters as guinea pigs.

6. TomSEA

TomSEA TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,558   +598

That is one goofy looking VR device. Not sure I'd want to be seen with that hanging off my head...LOL.

7. LNCPapa

LNCPapa TS Special Forces Posts: 4,210   +424

Looks very interesting but they're going to have to change the design quite a bit. No way I want to have to brush my teeth before I can play - and with the current design you'll be breathing in all your bad breath and really get woozy.

8. ikesmasher

ikesmasher TS Evangelist Posts: 2,556   +862

not sure id want to be seen with any VR headset on my head. the oculus isnt much better >_>

9. Puiu

Puiu TS Evangelist Posts: 1,903   +529

Oculus is and will continue to be about games. Facebook buying it changes nothing (with the exception of them having access to better hardware now). I still don't understand why people think that. It's not like they are *****s, at least I trust John Carmack to deliver a great product.