Valve updates the Steam Controller with an analog stick

Scorpus

Staff member

Valve continues to tweak the elusive Steam Controller, recently adding in an analog stick into the design alongside the existing setup that includes two touchpads, several trigger buttons and traditional faceplate buttons.

The original design of the Steam Controller had a touchscreen in the center, which game developers were set to harness through an API. A revision of the controller in early 2014 replaced the touchscreen with more buttons, including a d-pad, in a design that was closer to traditional console controllers.

It's possible that Valve wants to make the Steam Controller more accessible to first time users, explaining the addition of an analog stick alongside two touchpads. Early reports from people who have tried out the controller say the touchpads take several hours to get used to, and even longer to achieve the promised PC-like accuracy.

There's still no definite word on when the Steam Controller, or Steam Machines for that matter, will be available to the public. In May, Valve pushed back the project's launch to 2015, so there's still a chance Valve will once again alter the design of their gamepad.

Permalink to story.

The evolution of this controller has been quite amazing. It has went from a simple concept to something actually usable. It is really cool to see that process.

Every single version of the steam controller looks awkward to use. Time to scrap this project.

I suppose it's time for those damn kids to get off your lawn too?

There are a lot of people looking forward to this controller, myself included. Let's give Valve the benefit of the doubt and judge the controller on the final version that's released.

There are a lot of people looking forward to this controller, myself included. Let's give Valve the benefit of the doubt and judge the controller on the final version that's released.
It would be nice to judge them now, before they change it again. But that will not happen, if they don't release a version at all.

I could never handle a controller properly, I guess I haven't used it enough, keyboard ftw.

I hate this. I don't know why Valve is trying to reinvent something out of their controller. I come from a console gaming background so I've been using the dual analog setup since I was a kid. I don't understand why Valve is trying to make it so unique by getting rid of one of the analog sticks, especially when they have games like Team Fortress, Portal, Half Life, etc. that thrive off of a dual analog setup. I can't see myself using their controller to play First Person Shorter or even First Person games in general because the dual analog setup has become so natural for me that I wouldn't want to adjust to a new system for movement and looking.

When I was young, I used to tell my friends it would be awesome if I could take an Xbox controller and hook it up to my computer because I hated using the mouse to aim in First Person games. Now this is possible and I can't see the gamers who love the dual analog stick layout subscribing to this new layout Valve is trying to push. It is too similar with the overall design yet too different and not very practical for a company that works with all genres of gaming.

I suppose it's time for those damn kids to get off your lawn too?

That lawn does NOT need a sheriff, OK? However it does need a trim, so if you need a job I'll let you mow it out of pity. If you do a good job, there's a lemonade in it for ya. That is, of course, if your mommy is OK with letting you operate a lawnmower. :D

All the little Steam fangirls (like yourself) are ready to eat anything Gabe has to offer, but the steam controller is a hall of fame innovation failure! It's a circus attraction! There's no tactile feedback from a touchpad, which--as any real gamer will you--is kind of a huge deal! It doesn't matter how good the touchpads are, or how ergonomic the controller is, the project--as it stands--is a lemon! It can't compete with a PS/Xbox controller, or a mouse and a keyboard. The steam controller is a square wheel. I don't need to try it to figure out that it's a bad idea, but maybe you do, so have at it. :mad:

To the rest of the community, I apologize for being snippy. I don't take insults from infants that don't even have the balls to log in when they insult people. :cool:

I agree every day and every month the whole steam project is slipping further and further down the drain and sadly I don't think anyone should try and stop it.

Back