TechSpot

Valve's Steam Box made official as 'Steam Machines', beta coming soon, final hardware in early 2014

By Shawn Knight
Sep 25, 2013
Post New Reply
  1. Valve on Wednesday announced Steam Machines, a hardware beta for the company’s upcoming planned takeover of the living room. In the second of three announcements this week, the company said they are working with multiple partners to bring a variety...

Read more

2. t3chn0vamp

t3chn0vamp TS Booster Posts: 151   +19

Sounds good...

3. TomSEA

TomSEA TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,372   +407

This has gotta be causing some waves in the Sony and Microsoft world. From a strictly gaming standpoint, they can't compete with what Steam has to offer.

4. JC713

JC713 TS Evangelist Posts: 7,062   +919

I hope this increases the amount of games developed using OpenGL.

5. stateofjermaine

stateofjermaine TS Rookie

But they don't really have to, though, do they? I mean, they sell hardware by pushing their mutually exclusive AAA IPs. Isn't that how they've stayed around this long?

6. TomSEA

TomSEA TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,372   +407

Oh, no doubt about that. But I can't help but think that when this box gets released and people see what's available to them - and it's a lot, those very few exclusive titles won't seem so important.

stateofjermaine likes this.
  7. stateofjermaine

stateofjermaine TS Rookie

For sure. And hopefully it will drive competition, and bring couch-gamers around to some great [typically PC] franchises.

8. It all depends on what the final price of the Steam Box will be. If it's $800 or more, I rather continue gaming on my PC.

9. penn919

penn919 TS Enthusiast Posts: 158   +12

Remember, SteamOS runs on linux so they've still got their work cut out for them. Microsoft and (to a lesser extent) Sony don't have to worry too much yet. We'll have to see how many developers are willing to port their games over which should be a significant challenge.

10. I think we can all guess as to what is coming on Friday... :)

11. Considering how AMD and Nvidia have just came out stating that they are going to be working diligently on improving their Linux drivers I think both Microsoft and Sony have something to fear.

Unless Valve prices themselves to much higher than Sony or Microsoft I know what I will be purchasing...

12. 9Nails

9Nails TechSpot Paladin Posts: 983   +89

I hope Friday has news of the next chapter in Half-Life!

13. St1ckM4n

St1ckM4n TS Evangelist Posts: 3,475   +624

Steam has said that their final announcement will be in regards to Input. Ideas? I say a wireless controller like the Xbox 360 one, but of course de-badged and hard-coded into SteamOS.

14. Im gonna cancel my PS4 pre-order...... Welcome back to my living room Steam.

15. Tekkaraiden

Tekkaraiden TS Maniac Posts: 908   +54

I don't think it will be running on Linux but an actual version of Linux.

I'm very curious to see what they can do to make Linux work for gaming (and by work I mean not having to spend a lot of time and effort to make games run).

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.