Vantec Tornado Query

Status
Not open for further replies.

InsaneMonkeyBoy

Hi Guys:grinthumb I need some info on the fans i just bought!

I know u can use the tornado as a cpu cooler but i use both as my chassis fans. I need to know if I've got the fans the right way round.........I know it souns dumn but evrywhere where the fan is advertised it says "100% more airflow in the case" but all mine do is take air in from the case and blow it out but i think it's supposed to take air in from the outside and blow it in........plz help if u can :D

The one in the front of your case should suck air in. The one in the back should blow air out, effectively creating a wind channel type thing.

Your cases airflow should be the following for best results:

airflow.jpg

If you have a side fan, put it on intake.

...all mine do is take air in from the case and blow it out but i think it's supposed to take air in from the outside and blow it in.

Its ment to do a bit of both. For best results have 1/2 exhaust fans at the back, and one intake fan in the front. This keeps airflow moving throughout the case.

Hope this helped :)

For the possible side fan, wouldnt it be cooler if the cpu fan outflow went right out of the box by having the side fan flow out? I have mine set up like that, thats why im wondering.

I think that would create air pressure problems, since the case fan and CPU fan are both drawing air from the same area. This is because the CPU fan is blowing air down onto the CPU while the case fan is sucking air out of the case. If you can picture the two fans with an arrow pointing in the direction that the fan is blowing air, you can imagine what kind of turbulence this is making.

The side fan should ideally supply cool outside air to your CPU. As tripleione mentioned, you don't want to create negative pressure on your CPU fan's air intake, as that would be counter-productive.

Originally posted by conradguerrero
For the possible side fan, wouldnt it be cooler if the cpu fan outflow went right out of the box by having the side fan flow out? I have mine set up like that, thats why im wondering.
The problem with that is that the CPU fan blows onto the heatsink, if the fan right in line with that is sucking against that fan it will create a turbulent condition, as well as the two working against eachother(creating negative pressure as Nic mentioned) and possibly reducing the life of the fans. Don't believe me, just take two powerful fans and space them 6-8 inches apart and run them so they are both pulling the same air, one may even stop the other completely.

OOO kool sounds pretty risky with the fans pulling the same air and one stopping hehe,

Cheers for all your replies i 'have now aquired more knowledge' hehe. Oh and by the way unfortunately 4 me i hav no front space for a front intake fan and no side space for a side fan so im just ganna get another tornado for my chassis and mayb......maybe get 1 for my processor..................but that'll make my pc sound like a jet engine probably. even though it already does :blackeye:

Cheers:grinthumb

What if the configuration is like this?

Code:
                    ^^
   --------------- FAN ---
<--|   PSU   |
   -----------
   |   ^^^
<-FAN  CPU
<-FAN
   |

Is that a little too much output by the CPU since two fans are going out and the PSU fan is also sucking air out?

Edit:
Diagram updated

If You have louvers or slots in your case weather in the side,top or bottem 3 out should create the flow current your looking for

I've only got 2 slots for case fans at the back and one ath the front for intake i guess. Would it be a good idea to get a fan at the front to suck air in??

Cheers for your replies:grinthumb

a fan in the front to pul air in and one in back(in addition to the PSU fan) blowing air out is ideal. As shown in the diagram Agissi posted.

Originally posted by Scol
What if the configuration is like this?

Code:
                    ^^
   --------------- FAN ---
<--|   PSU   |
   -----------
   |   ^^^
<-FAN  CPU
<-FAN
   |

Is that a little too much output by the CPU since two fans are going out and the PSU fan is also sucking air out?

Edit:
Diagram updated
I see you have a CoolerMaster case. An excellent cooling configuration I found. :cool:
What matters is that air is not allowed to circulate, but instead, it enters, picks up heat, then leaves.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back