Vaping industry now subjected to the same regulations as traditional cigarettes

Shawn Knight

Staff member

The Food and Drug Administration will now treat electronic cigarettes and related tobacco products such as hookahs and cigars the same as traditional cigarettes. The move will have a profound impact on those who make, sell and buy vaping products.

As per the new rules, those who manufacture vaping products will be required to seek FDA approval before selling their wares. What’s more, manufacturers will now have to plaster warning labels on their items regarding the addictive properties of nicotine. Sales to minors under the age of 18 are now prohibited, as are free samples and sales in vending machines in non-adult only areas.

Vaping is now a $3.5 billion market that’s grown by triple digits each of the past five years.

The long-term health implications of vaping aren’t yet known although early reports have found high levels of chemicals such as formaldehyde and acetaldehyde in e-cig liquids, both of which have been linked to cancer.

Unsurprisingly, critics are claiming the FDA is overreaching its boundaries. As Fortune notes, it can be quite expensive to gain FDA approval which will likely put smaller vaping shops out of business and give Big Tobacco makers an even greater market share.

The publication points out that the regulations contain a grandfather clause that eliminates the need for FDA approval for merchandise that was already available as of February 15, 2007. But as you may know, the electronic cigarette industry was virtually non-existent before that time.

The FDA is using a staggered timeline for enforcement that will allow manufacturers to continue to sell their products for up to two years while they submit (and an additional year while the FDA reveiws) a new tobacco product application.

Image courtesy Kansas City Star TNS via Getty Images

Permalink to story.

That guy in the picture used in this article must really enjoy poisoning his body. Must be really looking forward to lung cancer, C.O.P.D, emphysema and lord knows what else.

That guy in the picture used in this article must really enjoy poisoning his body. Must be really looking forward to lung cancer, C.O.P.D, emphysema and lord knows what else.

Specially young people including myself. I really should kick this habbit as well. I wonder if there are any possible organic juices. I smoke a train loads.

I better stop. I guess if its severely less than smoking in terms of dangers then by all means. Any smoke is bad smoke.

If vapor was smoke, then I suppose that statement would be true...

Anything you put into your body involving nicotine is bad. Another law put into effect without proper research. Surprise, surprise.

I don't smoke or vape, however it's sadistically amusing to yet again watch the Gov jump to assumptuous conclusions, and start throwing out classifications.

History really does repeat itself.

Research needs to be done to say wether this is good or bad for you, it's absolutely irresponsible to assume it is not bad for you because you claim to be an expert. I can't say if it is or isn't but until we know for sure what, if any, side effects are present I don't want anyone "vaping" this **** near me, in my vicinity, especially indoors, it's that simple. Thus I stand by the government in banning this crap until we know for sure what's going no with it.

I think before making any rash judgments about vaping, some of the people who have commented should really do their research. Before I started vaping a year ago, I did plenty. While there isn't any concrete evidence to show that vaping is any better than smoking cigarettes, there are plenty of independent studies that have been done to prove that your body, or lungs rather, are in a much better place vaping as opposed to smoking. There have been many positive side effects to vaping as opposed to smoking cigarettes. I can tell you that as far as how I feel vaping, I feel much better. My lung capacity has enormously improved, my breathing has improved, and I no longer wake up coughing up the crap that would stick to my lungs from smoking cigarettes. I have had my doctor run tests to determine my lung health and he says my lungs have greatly improved and within a couple of months should fully be back to normal. While I cannot and will not argue that inhaling anything other than oxygen is harmful, I am definitely in favor of vaping. I don't have any issue with there being regulations pushing out anything toxic in what I vape.

Really though how does the FDA even justify approving of cigarettes, if any other food or drug had the same side effects their would be lawsuits and they would be shut down instantly. Iv smoked here and there for 17 years and I wish I grew up in a country with enough sense to ban smoking. Another scourge on humanity brought to us via lobbying.

Last edited:

Just as an fyi, not all e-juices contain those toxins. It costs me more money to purchase premium liquids without anything harmful, but I do it anyway.

I support this not on principle but on preference. Smokers are tolerable, but vapers (sp?) are mind bogglingly annoying.

Like the health concious people that preceded them (crossfitters), people who vape should be imprisoned for merely existing.

I'm upset because it now prohibits any type of "free samples" and that will eliminate any testing or tasting bars in a lot of shops and that's why a lot of people hang out in lounges and shops.

I love when people are upfront about their ignorance and stupidity, it makes responding much easier.
The causes of the issues you list are attributed to SMOKING tobacco, meaning burning the leaves, paper, and 1000's of other carefully engineered chemicals added to cigarettes. The issue here is the fact that the FDA just gave the industry to Marlboro, again, as they've done several times in the past. Both the master settlement agreement and grandfather date were agreed upon with the tobacco companies approval and blessing. Cigarettes were never required through a "new tobacco product" process, but the less harmful vape is supposed to? Before casting judgement at least have some knowledge on the subject. Cheers

I think before making any rash judgments about vaping, some of the people who have commented should really do their research. Before I started vaping a year ago, I did plenty. While there isn't any concrete evidence to show that vaping is any better than smoking cigarettes, there are plenty of independent studies that have been done to prove that your body, or lungs rather, are in a much better place vaping as opposed to smoking. There have been many positive side effects to vaping as opposed to smoking cigarettes. I can tell you that as far as how I feel vaping, I feel much better. My lung capacity has enormously improved, my breathing has improved, and I no longer wake up coughing up the crap that would stick to my lungs from smoking cigarettes. I have had my doctor run tests to determine my lung health and he says my lungs have greatly improved and within a couple of months should fully be back to normal. While I cannot and will not argue that inhaling anything other than oxygen is harmful, I am definitely in favor of vaping. I don't have any issue with there being regulations pushing out anything toxic in what I vape.
Good for you! Do you vape on the Marlboro e-cigs? If not, the FDA regulations will end any other products on the market.

Good for you! Do you vape on the Marlboro e-cigs? If not, the FDA regulations will end any other products on the market.

Yeah, I know what you are saying. It really sucks that the tobacco companies own just about every decision made about what a person can inhale. I'm hoping the vape industry can survive with all of this.

I support this not on principle but on preference. Smokers are tolerable, but vapers (sp?) are mind bogglingly annoying.

Like the health concious people that preceded them (crossfitters), people who vape should be imprisoned for merely existing.
While in principal of the FDA regulations I disagree with you, you are right that there are a lot of dbag vapers out there, which put a black eye on the industry from the beginning. But, according to gov estimates, appx 1 billion people will die from smoking related illness this century. They have no right to deny a potential technology from reversing those numbers. (the current FDA regs will in effect eliminate 99% of the current industry due to the licensing cost. It's estimated it will cost 1 million dollars per sku, thus increasing costs for consumers making it more than smoking cigarettes)

Research needs to be done to say wether this is good or bad for you, it's absolutely irresponsible to assume it is not bad for you because you claim to be an expert. I can't say if it is or isn't but until we know for sure what, if any, side effects are present I don't want anyone "vaping" this **** near me, in my vicinity, especially indoors, it's that simple. Thus I stand by the government in banning this crap until we know for sure what's going no with it.
Becuase the FDA has always looked out for the people? Like threatening to sue the state of Vermont after the people voted to label foods that are GMO? The same FDA that gives the green light to prescriptions that are now the leading cause of substance abuse and death? Yeah, they have a stellar track record. I fully trust them.

Yeah, I know what you are saying. It really sucks that the tobacco companies own just about every decision made about what a person can inhale. I'm hoping the vape industry can survive with all of this.
At this point, the industry is completely done except for Marlboro. It's interesting that the FDA is going to regulate the device, batteries, cotton, atomizer, and even the software as a tobacco product. E-juice that doesn't contain nicotine will have to have a label that says "this is a tobacco product"... So what's next? They go after sugar or salt because of obesity?

At this point, the industry is completely done except for Marlboro. It's interesting that the FDA is going to regulate the device, batteries, cotton, atomizer, and even the software as a tobacco product. E-juice that doesn't contain nicotine will have to have a label that says "this is a tobacco product"... So what's next? They go after sugar or salt because of obesity?

It's really ridiculous. It's all about the money and really, no one seems care. It makes no sense that they should be able to regulate this as such. How can you consider liquids that don't have nicotine as tobacco products? So what now? Companies can act as though they are trying to submit for 2 years and keep selling their products, then just close up shop....

It's really ridiculous. It's all about the money and really, no one seems care. It makes no sense that they should be able to regulate this as such. How can you consider liquids that don't have nicotine as tobacco products? So what now? Companies can act as though they are trying to submit for 2 years and keep selling their products, then just close up shop....
Manufacturers have two years, retailers have about 90 days unless they get all their licensing in line. The worst part of this deal is again favoring big tobacco through regulation, thus giving them the market

Government isn't banning it. They want to profit from it.

3 years ago when I still smoked I was diagnosed with persistent chronic bronchitis. I switched to vaping July of 2013. today my lungs are clear and normal. After 10 years of research and studies(yes we know whats in them and what it does) no definitive link to harm has been found. Google Master tobacco settlement for the real reason these are being regulated.

Why doesn't the FEDS ban Marijuana smoking in the States that are now allowing it? You don't think that Marijuana smoke is healthy, I hope! It's against Federal law to possess or use weed however the Feds are looking past those States (Colorado, Washington and others) who are violating Federal law. Do you know why? .........TAXATION. Do you not think that Bubblegum Vodka, Cotton Candy flavored vodka does not target teenagers into drinking? Government nor the media doesn't fixate on that.....because it is heavily taxed. This is all about Taxing us to death! That is why Americans are fed up with Government and we have the Bernie Sanders and Trump movements. GOVERNMENT has finally been exposed and Americans can finally see through them and their lies. This whole ECigg revolt is bullsh-t. Just read the blogs of each article representing the millions that smoke cigarettes but switched. They are all feeling 1000 % better and can breath again. This comes from a commenter that has never smoked cigarettes, ECiggs or Marijuana so I can be impartial.

Back