TechSpot

Various Firefox problems

By resu
Mar 4, 2006
  1. hi..
    Ive been using firefox for 2 years now and it has never ever let me down until today !!
    i booted my PC as normal and i opened Firefox and found that my Bookmarks had all dissappeared !!??? i dont have a clue where they have gone

secondly as i started to add my bookmarks again, if i went to a page it would be fine but then if i added it to the bookmarks folder it started to shake/wobble up and down within the firefox window (it was only shaking below the FF toolbar). now everytime i try and access that page with FF it shakes but the subpages from the bookmarked page dont shake!

I have uninstalled and re-installed firefox and it makes no difference to my porblem ... this makes me think that its a registry problem, but i dont know anything about the registry so i cant do anything to that! on another forum some people said that it was most porbably a virus, but avast didnt pick it up with my last scan. Someone else said that it was windows and the only way i could solve the problem would be to format my HDD and re-install everything again (I am understandably reluctant to do that).

If anyone has experienced these problems and/or know how to fix it, that would be great!!

thank you.

(ive been to the mozilla site and i cant find any email addresses for me to use to get their ppoint of view on my problem)

2. Tedster

Tedster Techspot old timer..... Posts: 6,000   +15

did you back up your hard disk?

3. Peddant

Peddant TS Rookie Posts: 1,446

This link tells you how to troubleshoot and FULLY uninstall Firefox.Also where you might find bookmarks,if they still exist("C:\Documents and Settings\username\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\").
    If all else fails - http://www.opera.com/download/

4. resu

resu TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 172

firstly thx for the replies

- i havent backed up my HDD.... why is it worth a windows re-install ?

- i'll try the link and hopefully i can get some results .... um where is the link where i can find out how to uninstall firefox completely? (if you could post that link it would be great! thx

after having a look i found all my bookmarks in a backup file!!!!
    C:\Documents and Settings\username\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\u2edln3i.default\bookmarkbackups

im so pleased
    thank you

5. Peddant

6. resu

resu TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 172

thx man this is awesome !!! firefox is workin again now... but how do i restore my bookmarks from the backup files (i saved them form the folder) ??

if you can help that would be great!! thx

7. Peddant

Open Firefox then go to Bookmarks/Manage bookmarks/File/Import/select "Import from file",then navigate to where your bookmarks are.

8. 24kmidas

24kmidas TS Rookie

Your Not Alone....

The exact thing happened to me today. I lost all my bookmarks at boot up this morning, started restoring them, booted back up this evening and they're gone again. It can't be a registry problem on two different computers can it?

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.