TechSpot

verbatim 52x24x52x

By puck_andy
Jul 23, 2003
  1. My computer doesn't recognize the new burner I got as a burner, just as a cd-rom drive. Any software tips?

950mhz 256ram (don't laugh):confused:

Thanks in advance

2. Julio Franco

Julio Franco TechSpot Editor Posts: 6,925   +548

You mean Windows doesn't recognize it as such or is it your burning software? If it's the later a software updated could help, the same happened to me when I got my (now old) 12x CD-RW.

You could also check Verbatim's drive FAQ on its website, perhaps a known issue in...... what OS are you using?

3. Phantasm66

Phantasm66 TS Rookie Posts: 5,734   +6

Yes, download any Nero or Roxio updates, and your drive should be recognised as a writer.

Don't have Nero or Roxio on at the same time - its easier one or the other.

4. acidosmosis

acidosmosis TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 1,350

Also, possibly that CDR may need drivers installed, so check the CD's and documentation that came with it. I haven't seen a CD-ROM or CDR that didnt basically detect automatically but I'm sure it is possible.

5. SNGX1275

SNGX1275 TS Forces Special Posts: 10,682   +393

Actually, the new burners I have seen, don't even come with drivers, and when you go to their website - they just simply say that no drivers are needed. I guess assuming that Windows already has ones that work fine.

6. Nic

Nic TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,549

You could also check the manufacturer's website for updated firmware for your drive.

7. puck_andy

puck_andy TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 32

yeah, the website doesn't even have much on the product except some crap pdf file. the updates don't do much either.

8. Nic

Nic TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,549

According to this page your drive is an OEM Liteon LTR-52246S ...

Verbatim 522452AL

Firmware for the Liteon can be found over here ...

Liteon LTR-52246S

I suggest using MtkWinFlash to update your firmware, which can be done under Windows, so no need for a boot disk. This program will even recover your drive if the flashing fails, and your drive is dead. It really works, as I used it myself to recover a dead Samsung SM-352B Combo drive after the firmware update failed.

You can find MtkWinFlash over here ...

MtkWinFlash

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.