Verbatim Store 'n' Go USB

Status
Not open for further replies.

mscrx

Yesterday I received a red one USB device - Verbatim Store 'n' Go 1GB.
I gave it to my wife because she loves red and pink things. She plugged it into her laptop. After WindowsXP recognized and installed the new device it came up with the explorer window and displayed the content of the device, some pdf's and one or two apps.
she ran one of the apps and followed the procedure to create a private space on the device and set a password. then the app did format the device. while formatting her battery gave up and her laptop was not connected to the power supply. after the laptop came back the usb device was displayed as 3mb removable device. the rest was gone. I downloaded the verbatim v100-safe.exe tool in different versions. they all told me that they would need to be ran from the usb device. I did so but then the tools told me that the device was not activate and switched off.
Can anybody tell me what I can do with this device to reset it or re-activate it?
I tried different partition managers and boot record editors. no chance so far to get more than 3 mb out of it.

thanks for help!
mscrx

Do you have access to a machine running Windows 98? There seems to be a trick using Win98 to format the drive as FAT which you can then (using XP) format to NTFS.

I don't know if you tried this but before you abandon WIn XP, connect the USB drive and then go to Disk Management (Control Panel > Admin Tools > Computer Management > Disk Management) and see if the drive is present. If it is, right click on it and select 'delete the partition'. Follow the process and once the partition is gone you can replace it using the same process. You will be given the option to select how big the partition you want - max is default - and again follow the process through.

ok, I already tried that. the disk management shows the same crap, 3mb removable device. no chance.
I got a win98se install as vmware and the stick attached to the system. same result as for now. it has been recognized as a 3mb removable device. now what?

In disk management is there no option to remove the partition? If not, then the best option might be something like Partition Manager, perhaps.

i attached what the disk manager gives me.
I tried paragon adn deleted the partition, see attachment 2.
thanks! mscrx

ok

that was my intention in case there is no fix for my problem.
it would have been interesting if there was a solution but seems to be proven a secure device :)
thanks for your help so far

Verbatim flash drives are made by SanDisc. You may find some help at the Sandisk site for similar drives.

I have the exact same problem but I get 8mb free space (from the 2gb...)
And I cannot either format it. I also tried lots of tool (paragon parition manager, windows tools, hp tool etc)
but still nothing. None of them formatted it or fixed it...
https://www.techspot.com/vb/topic84786.html its the full story for anyone
who willing to help because a returning is not an option from me...
I bought from USA but I live in Greece. In customs I'll have to pay the double price + for a new one...

Regards,
Chris

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back