Verizon FiOS launches fastest Internet tier to date

By Shawn Knight
Jul 22, 2013
Post New Reply
  1. Verizon on Monday launched their fastest FiOS Internet package to date for business and residential customers. It’s not quite on the same level as Google Fiber but Verizon’s new Quantum tier is capable of 500Mbps down and 100Mbps up which...

Read more
  2. ikesmasher

ikesmasher TechSpot Evangelist Posts: 1,856   +343

And it has a 500MB data cap. :p
  3. Lionvibez

Lionvibez TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 527   +75

There is no point even mentioning google's offering because at this price point verzion's package is on another planet.

For a business this may be useful which I assume would come with SLA's.

Maybe in 3-4 years the pricing on this will actually come down to level a consumer is willing to pay.

Also news is missing the most important information what is the Data cap??
    psycros likes this.
  4. JC713

JC713 TechSpot Evangelist Posts: 6,688   +870

Lol $400 per month. That is more than my Verizon cellular bill + home cable/landline phone/internet.
    psycros likes this.
  5. tipstir

tipstir TS Ambassador Posts: 4,576   +76

Comcast double speed best one is 210 mbps down at a cost of $200 bucks. Told me there wasn't gap but there is about 350 mbps and up. Everything has some sort of cap (gap). I would drop Comcast and use my Verzion bill internet service but not at these prizes no way..
  6. Skidmarksdeluxe

Skidmarksdeluxe TechSpot Evangelist Posts: 2,797   +702

I wonder what speeds will be like in 20 yrs time... I'm too chicken to mention prices.
  7. benken2202001

benken2202001 TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 154   +16

As a FIOS customer, I have not hit a data cap so far in the two years I've had it. However, I download perhaps on average 50-100 gigs a month.
  8. ddg4005

ddg4005 TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 216   +22

I saw this tier on Verizon's web site a few days ago and thought it might be in response to Cablevision recently increasing the speeds on its Optimum tiers recently (I'm and Optimum customer and my download and upload speeds are now 101 and 35 respectively, up from 50/8). Verizon is supposed to be wiring my area for Fios but I haven't seen any trucks lately (just one last month).
  9. tipstir

Everything suppose to be 1.0 Gbp by 2015. I had D3 Cable Modem by Ubee has 1000mbps port it set to that speed by default. I get with it 132 mbps down and 22 mbps up. I had purchased it so I don't have to pay rent per month on it from the local Cable Company (such a racket)
  10. ddg4005

I've been thinking of buying a cable modem as well, and I've found a model that also has RJ-11 ports for telephone service, but I'm reluctant to pull the trigger only to discover that Fios has become available in my neighborhood.

That would really suck.
  11. tipstir

Save a lot of money buying your own cable modem, just have to let your ISP get the Mac address so they know that's you on their network.

12. Lionvibez

Lionvibez TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 527   +75

Correction "ISP supported Cable modem" Most ISP won't let you just grab any modem and put it on their network. It usually has to be on a approved list of modems they have tested on the network. This obviously varies from region to region but most are like this.
  13. ddg4005

Very true but in my case the modem I was looking at is an Arris model which is currently being used by Cablevision for their Optimum Online setups. I'll have to ask a Best Buy sales rep about the price next time I'm there.
  14. tipstir

I didn't just grab any cable modem, I am using the same one the had gave me for rent. I order one off Amazon and had returned what they gave me. Same Ubee D3 cable modem they use, but the only difference is I don't have to pay a monthly fee to the cable company for using it.

As I say you save a lot of money doing it this way. Just have to call them up and give them the mac address for that new modem you own.
  15. psycros

psycros TechSpot Booster Posts: 670   +202

Glad to know all that money Verizon saved abandoning states all over the US is being put to good use. /s

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.