TechSpot

Verizon gives in to pressure, will let users opt out of 'permacookie'

By Shawn Knight
Jan 30, 2015
Post New Reply
  1. The discovery of Verizon's "permacookies" caused an uproar among privacy advocates and average consumers alike that the company has simply been unable to ignore. As a result, Verizon will soon allow its customers to opt out of its controversial identifier-based tracking...

Read more

2. BlueDrake

BlueDrake TS Evangelist Posts: 350   +103

They know very well if this was an opt-in, people would likely be automatically clicking accept. Only on the general basis of making it go away, so they can continue and unknowingly be tracked by these cookies. It would post as little info as possible, just so people would be like "Sure, fine, do whatever" and go on their way.

Now that it's out in the public, and people actually know what it does of course they are upset. People are too oblivious regardless, to how much information is floating around about them. They give so much information away just from, the fact that it tracks your general location to begin with.

Then throw up information on Facebook like, what they had to eat with pictures and so on. Yet that's all fine and dandy, when someone can easily dig through that info about you. Throw the whole proper spin on things, and people are up in arms about their security and privacy. I'm not for any of this tracking at all and I'm not some nut either, this is just how people treat this "security" threat.

Unless there's some huge blow up on things, and it goes out globally about what it is then.. really who's going to rally the troops and knock down the walls? It's then all kept hush hush behind these walls, until suddenly there's a massive "leak" about these security / privacy / etc threats and there's "massive" outrage from people.

3. Skidmarksdeluxe

Skidmarksdeluxe TS Evangelist Posts: 6,514   +2,058

You've gotta be careful of these shady shysters. I recently flashed my Samsung/Vodafone ROM to a stock Samsung ROM now there's no crapware, bloatware etc and the phones performance has really picked up. I don't know why I never did it a long time ago... Just chicken I guess.

4. Rippleman

Rippleman TS Guru Posts: 563   +178

Hate to break it you guys, but they still know who you call, when you call, what time you call, where you call from, where you care calling to, and where/where/who you surf on the net through 3g/4g/lte..... there is no way around it.

5. Camikazi

Camikazi TS Maniac Posts: 818   +231

Well yeah, it all goes through their servers so it would be hard for them not to know.