Verizon introduces simplified rate plans, eliminating contracts and phone subsidies

Shawn Knight

Staff member

Verizon on Friday announced some pretty significant changes as it relates to both its rate plans and contract pricing.

In a bid to simplify things a bit, Verizon will soon offer what it’s calling small, medium, large and x-large base plans. All new plans include unlimited talk and text; where they vary is in how much data is bundled in.

The small plan includes 1GB of monthly data for $30 per month. Bumping up to the $45 medium plan affords 3GB of data while the large and x-large plans include 6GB and 12GB of data for $60 and $80 per month, respectively. Should you happen to go over your data allotment, Verizon will tack on $15 per extra gigabyte.

In addition to the base plan, customers will have to pay a monthly access fee per device: $20 for each smartphone, $10 for each tablet and dongle and $5 per wearable.

The aforementioned plans and fees don’t include any incidentals such as monthly financing charges for a smartphone.

Verizon is also doing away with contract pricing. New customers will no longer be able to purchase a smartphone via two-year subsidy. Existing customers can continue to upgrade using the two-year contract approach should they so choose although I suspect Verizon will slowly phase this option out over time.

Verizon is considered the lone holdout in the revolution that has swept through the industry over the past two years courtesy of T-Mobile. While it has made a few concessions, the nation’s largest wireless provider has largely stuck to its guns, vowing that it would not be a price leader.

The new plans go into effect starting August 13.

Permalink to story.

Aaaand once again I'll be sticking to my $45 a month unlimited talk text and 3gb of 4g data from straighttalk. I've had 2 phones from straighttalk, 1 of which was on the verizon and my current is on the at&t network. where I live at&t performs much better when it comes to voice quality, text messaging and data speeds.

Awesome so instead of paying $60-65 per month for 1GB of Data and getting a free phone every two years (usually the previous years flagship) I can now pay $30+20+25 (or more) per month for a total of at least $75. Glad to know verizon is looking out for its customer and not trying to line its pockets with even more money...

Last edited:
Different access fees per device? A byte is a byte. It should not matter what type of device is being used. Voice, data, text messages, photo messages, and video messages are all in multiple bytes. You now have smart phones, tablets, and wearable devices that can do all functions? Why have monthly access charges? Why have monthly access charges that are so high? What about basic phones? This is why we need at least a third significantly large mobile carrier to become a reality. We need more competition in mobile from a carrier with significant geographic coverage.

Access fee to even use your unlimited text, calling and limited data? Doesn't make sense! So if you don't want to pay the access fee your phone is a paper weight!

Aaaand once again I'll be sticking to my $45 a month unlimited talk text and 3gb of 4g data from straighttalk. I've had 2 phones from straighttalk, 1 of which was on the verizon and my current is on the at&t network. where I live at&t performs much better when it comes to voice quality, text messaging and data speeds.
Straighttalk should be giving you 5gb now for 45.

It was an effective change in May (like the 7th) that should have been updated on your next billing cycle.

Back