Verizon is jacking up the cost of unlimited data plans by $20 a month

Shawn Knight

Staff member

It’s hard to believe today but there once was a time when minutes were perceived as being more valuable to wireless customers than data allotments. As such, carriers loaded plans with unlimited data and primarily focused their money-making efforts on minute packages.

The exact opposite is true today as the majority of plans now include unlimited talk and text with varying buckets of data. Those who hung on to their unlimited data plans from years ago were allowed to keep them through grandfather clauses although carriers have been trying diligently to get users to let go of them.

Verizon is the latest carrier to do so. Instead of offering more attractive plans, they’re goal is to simply jack up the price of unlimited data to financially force users out of their grandfathered plans.

Up to this point, Verizon customers have paid $29.99 for their unlimited data plans. Starting with bills that arrive on November 15 or later, that fee will shoot up to $49.99, the company told CNN Money. Verizon spokesperson Chuck Hamby said the change will affect less than one percent of its customers.

Verizon’s first move to eliminate unlimited data plans was in 2011 when the company did away with them. Hamby said the additional money it earns from former unlimited data plan subscribers will be reinvested to strengthen its wireless network.

Permalink to story.

Actually, I think they 'want' to improve want to improve their wireless networks, but not as long as somebody might take advantage of it. They are probably of the opinion that the 'unlimited' folks have too good a deal (like a rent controlled apartment which you share with your great-grandmother, who moved in on New Years Day 1947).

Frankly, the charge levels they have come up with are piratical - and I hope the free Wi-Fi movement blows them over.

I remember when the "mobile phone" wars started. Minutes were more expensive than gold. Then, texting came along. Minutes were yesterday, the gold was in texting...overcharged big time (considering that texting is sent on the back porch of the cell phone carrier signal, so there is absolutely NO COST to the carrier for texting). Then, data came along. Minutes & texting were so yesterday, the MONEY is in the data, so they charge you through the roof! Wonder how long it will be, till the "next big thing" comes along and data will be so yesterday. It's been their model since the late 80's early 90's. Worked so far, don't see it changing. (This is in regard to the USA market. At least the stupid 2 year contract crap is about over.

Still cheaper than the BS plans here in Canada, Unlimited Data for $29.99, that's just unheard of around here, even at $49.99 it's a great deal. Even when data was in it's infancy I don't believe any of the carriers ever considered offering such a deal, the only "unlimited" plans here are in the $80-100 range and they still have strings attached. So I don't see it as Verizon "jacking up cost", because anyway I cut it, $50 a month for unlimited data is a deal and half.

Still cheaper than the BS plans here in Canada, Unlimited Data for $29.99, that's just unheard of around here, even at $49.99 it's a great deal. Even when data was in it's infancy I don't believe any of the carriers ever considered offering such a deal, the only "unlimited" plans here are in the $80-100 range and they still have strings attached. So I don't see it as Verizon "jacking up cost", because anyway I cut it, $50 a month for unlimited data is a deal and half.

You've missed some stuff in the article. Long ago, there used to be unlimited data with Verizon. As times changed, Verizon switched to limited data but allowed the people who already had unlimited data to keep it. Thus they became grandfathered plans. As time went on, Verizon kept changing their policies that would cause people to lose their grandfathered plans. Like, you upgrade your phone or add a new smart phone to your package, etc.

So these people that still have unlimited data either have really outdated phones or they are smart electrical engineers.

Yes once there was unlimited data plans but then one day they found out hey money is to be made with data plans. They all do it so why won't this company just profit along with the rest. I am using my cell phone for calls and if I need to download data do it from WiFi network. Plus I am not spending for data GB usage either. Keep the bill as low as I can get have nice phone (pay extra 5.5 - inch screen. It's cell phone but it's like a mini computer we want the data but we have to pay more for it!

I imagine it's not even true unlimited data, because knowing the companies it's a quick label to put together. When it's actually a finite cap (or so they state), until you run into speed reductions and everything as a result. It's the same with how ISPs have cut the unlimited option, but some have recently waved it around again. Especially here in Canada where they cut the caps so low, you really would need that for data hungry connections.

Between Steam which could likely download at least 4+ updates, especially if you play actively updating games often. Consoles which would have updates for either the console itself, or updates for games which are another big thing sometimes. Then throw in streaming content (Netflix, Twitch, etc), your regular browsing habits and such. I've pushed through a lot of data, as I'm well within my personal "right" due to the excess costs we pay. $95 just for internet at a half-baked rate, because they happily screw with things while you could be doing anything important.

It's a real joke in the long run, and I had an older grandfathered internet plan. It was about the same for a slower speed, but then they of course each year do a small "bump" in rates. Just to justify things all the while, keep promoting "small business" users go with them. Cutting costs and giving out otherwise regular things, that customers had before all to entice more people. For anyone in Canada using Bell, consider looking at the small business options. :p

You've missed some stuff in the article. Long ago, there used to be unlimited data with Verizon. As times changed, Verizon switched to limited data but allowed the people who already had unlimited data to keep it. Thus they became grandfathered plans. As time went on, Verizon kept changing their policies that would cause people to lose their grandfathered plans. Like, you upgrade your phone or add a new smart phone to your package, etc.

So these people that still have unlimited data either have really outdated phones or they are smart electrical engineers.

More like they buy their smartphone on the side and only use the sim card.

Back