Verizon launches Smart Rewards program, but there's a (privacy) catch

Shawn Knight

Staff member

verizon rewards loyalty program smart rewards verizon selects

Verizon has unveiled a nationwide loyalty program for its subscribers in which customers can earn points in a number of different ways that can be exchanged for a variety of rewards. The Smart Rewards program will be available to customers with post-paid accounts starting July 24 but before you decide to sign up, there's one big catch that you need to be aware of.

Activities that accrue points include signing in to the My Verizon online account management tool, paying your monthly bill, choosing paperless billing and using the Verizon Trade In program, just to name a few.

Once points have been accumulated, they can be used for things like discounts on hotel rooms, car rentals or select products from Verizon's catalog. What's more, points can also be used to bid on items in auctions hosted on Verizon's website.

Here's the big catch: customers wishing to participate in the program will need to enroll in Verizon Selects, a targeted marketing program that uses location, web browsing and mobile application usage data to generate advertisements based on user interests.

We're told that you can expect at least 10,000 bonus points for signing up for the Verizon Selects program. Users can leave the program at any time and remain in the Smart Rewards program although sticking around will net additional monthly bonus points.

Would you be willing to opt-in to such a marketing program and have you location and data usage knowingly tracked in exchange for reward points?

Permalink to story.

Next time I visit the store for a free upgrade, I know exactly what I'm going to say when they ask about this program.

I'm already enrolled in the NSA program. They told me my bonus is coming on April 15th.

In a sense, this is just like a retail store's perks, advantage, or whatever card. Of course the big difference is that the cards monitor purchases at the store to figure out trends, where as Verizon will basically stalk your mobile activity to figure out trends and whatever else.

In a way, Google kind of already does this too. Of course they aren't giving any free hotels for using their stuff.

Get your friends to over pay for phone service and get a free soft drink coupon.
Get three friends to overpay and get a free tee shirt

So... basically they are being sued for spying... and now they make this program just to cover their s...

What a scam. Who would want to give up privacy for some stupid rewards?
**Newsflash** We all gave up our privacy years ago (albeit unknowingly) so whats wrong with reaping a few rewards now? That said I wouldn't be in the least bit interested in this, all wireless carriers are big crooks and I wouldn't dream of adding to their coffers. It's prepaid all the way for me so I'm automatically out of the running anyway. Too bad, so sad.

**Newsflash** We all gave up our privacy years ago (albeit unknowingly) so whats wrong with reaping a few rewards now? That said I wouldn't be in the least bit interested in this, all wireless carriers are big crooks and I wouldn't dream of adding to their coffers. It's prepaid all the way for me so I'm automatically out of the running anyway. Too bad, so sad.
That is true technically.

Would you be able to expand on why prepaid is the way to go? I'm interested in doing the same.
Well that depends on your usage, financial situation and to a large extent your graphical location. For some who are heavy users who rely on their phones more than they rely on oxygen and water for survival, a contract would make more sense but for me who isn't, a contract is way too expensive to justify having. Also where I live (South Africa) prepaid tariffs are far cheaper per minute than post paid. Carrier locked phones are illegal here so we have the freedom of choice of phones and carriers. The obvious drawback is you have to buy your handset outright and replace it when you feel it's time although it's no bad thing as far as I'm concerned. Wireless carriers make their money from contracts, prepaid is not a big money spinner for them hence they like to blind you with smoke and mirrors convincing you contracts are the alpha and omega.

Back