Verizon says US government made 150k user data requests in last six months

1. The US government made approximately 150,000 demands for Verizon user data during the first half of 2014. The revelation came as a part of the carrier's second company transparency report, which it released yesterday.

Read more
  2. cliffordcooley

cliffordcooley TechSpot Paladin Posts: 5,746   +1,421

No wonder cellular carriers/ISP's charge so much, and never upgrade infrastructure. They spend all their man hours and personnel pacifying government request.

Edit: Maybe our taxes should pay for our service, It seems the government makes use of our service more than we do.
  3. captaincranky

captaincranky TechSpot Addict Posts: 10,361   +823

Now boys and girls, this is what's known as, "opaque transparency". All Verizon is telling you is how many requests were made, and nothing in reference to what the government's reason(s) were for asking for the information. I suspect half or more of those requests, may have been in relation to the FBI's role as the RIAA/MPAA's trained attack dog.

Somehow, this reminds me of Crosby, Stills, & Nash's song, "Almost Cut my Hair".

At one point they wax philosophic, "somehow it increases my paranoia, like looking in the mirror and seeing a police car".......:eek:

(Of course I realize this is quite dated. Now all the police have to do, is have Verizon ping your phone and set up a roadblock).:oops:
    Last edited: Jul 9, 2014
  4. I don't know what is more crazy. They balls the Fed has to continue with unconstitutional unwarranted searches even with all the backlash, or the balls of Verizon for publishing the data on it.

All I know is that I may be switching to Verizon in the near future.
    cliffordcooley likes this.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.