Vermont now has 10 Gbps internet for $400 per month

Scorpus

Staff member

vermont gbps internet fiber vtel fibre

If you're lucky enough to live in Springfield, Vermont, you now have access to a ridiculously fast 10 Gbps fiber internet connection for $400 per month thanks to local service provider Vermont Telephone (VTel).

Around 18,000 homes and business in Springfield can sign up to VTel's 10 Gbps speed tier now that the company has almost finished their roll-out of high speed fiber. VTel previously offered customers a mere 1 Gbps for $59.95 per month, although that excellent deal is still available if a user doesn't want to fork out a premium for much faster internet speeds.

VTel has been able to connect every home in the area to fiber thanks to an $85 million grant from the US Department of Agriculture’s Rural Utilities Service, while simultaneously decommissioning its older copper network. The fiber rollout will be completed by June 30th this year, "on budget and on schedule".

Customers on VTel's fiber network are subject to a 2.5 TB data cap per month, although the company apparently enforces this cap liberally. Most home users won't approach anywhere near this sort of data usage per month, and will struggle to take full advantage of a 10 Gbps connection with just a few household users.

However, thanks to this 10 Gbps internet rollout, residents of Springfield, Vermont are now able to access the internet at speeds exceeding even the fastest residential networks around the globe. Residents in many other cities throughout the United States don't even have access to 10 Mbps, let alone 10 Gbps, while in countries such as Australia, average connection speeds hover around the 4 Mbps mark.

While a 10 Gbps internet connection will allow you to download a 1 GB file in less than a second, if you're stuck on just 4 Mbps, the same file will take over 30 minutes to download.

Permalink to story.

This must be a great deal for 1% of the population... I don't see any more than that being able to pay $400 a month for the Internet.

At $400/mo. I'd rather have a BMW. More value, won't be obsolete in a year's time.

"Cute", and kind of crazy. I'm happy (and envious) for Springfield VT residents though, as their Iocal ISP (with help from the government) was able to update their entire network infrastructure. I think the $400/month service is almost entirely lost on the population of sub 10k, especially as the median household income (depending on martial status) barely breaks $40k.

Honestly I'd just be happy to see 1GBps service, uncapped (or fairly liberally capped) for $60/mo and sign up for it immediatly...

At $400/mo. I'd rather have a BMW. More value, won't be obsolete in a year's time.
I don't know, with all the new "features" luxury automakers churn out every year to try and outpace each other, I wouldn't be too sure about the delay to obsolescence. Plus, I don't think any consumer network plans are going to come even close to this any time soon. I mean 1GBps is still fairly niche though gaining traction, 10GBps is the king of niches! :)

Pointlessly fast.
100mbps is more than sufficient for almost all households today.
What can you practically accomplish with 10gbps that you couldn't also accomplish with 100mbps?
UHD video seems to be the highest bandwidth guzzler today, and each stream tops out at about 15 Mbps (Netflix). That means that 100 Mbps can handle six *simultaneous* UHD streams.
What possible household use is there for more than that sort of bandwidth?
Even the biggest chunks of consumer content (GTA5, 60GB) would take a little over an hour to download.
With 10gbps, you could do it in 48 seconds, but are people really that impatient?
This sort of speed saves time mostly on one-off uses, and not all that much at that.

I'm also going to point out that even an SSD cannot handle 10Gbps write; you'd need two Ssd drives working in parallel to take advantage of that sort of speed.

It's nice to see this sort of capability built, but I don't see anyone being able to meaningfully use it for a long, long time.

I live in Spain, here you can get a 200/200Mbps fiber connection for 54.38EUR (~$61.30) a month.

I could blow 2.5TB of uploaded data in less than 35 hours just by sharing a couple of torrents...

Pointlessly fast.
100mbps is more than sufficient for almost all households today.
What can you practically accomplish with 10gbps that you couldn't also accomplish with 100mbps?
UHD video seems to be the highest bandwidth guzzler today, and each stream tops out at about 15 Mbps (Netflix). That means that 100 Mbps can handle six *simultaneous* UHD streams.
What possible household use is there for more than that sort of bandwidth?
Even the biggest chunks of consumer content (GTA5, 60GB) would take a little over an hour to download.
With 10gbps, you could do it in 48 seconds, but are people really that impatient?
This sort of speed saves time mostly on one-off uses, and not all that much at that.

I'm also going to point out that even an SSD cannot handle 10Gbps write; you'd need two Ssd drives working in parallel to take advantage of that sort of speed.

It's nice to see this sort of capability built, but I don't see anyone being able to meaningfully use it for a long, long time.

You don't need SSD's in Raid 0

A single PCIE NVMe drive will handle the write speed find.

I live in Spain, here you can get a 200/200Mbps fiber connection for 54.38EUR (~$61.30) a month.

I could blow 2.5TB of uploaded data in less than 35 hours just by sharing a couple of torrents...
Caps are so stupidly lame! Need to be illegal in all 50 states by federal statue.

Should be like the good old days. Paying strictly for the speed. Period! After all, that is all the ISP is paying for. CAPS are total rip off.

I want to see speeds go up as much as the next guy

but why is the federal government spending 85 million dollars to upgrade 20K businesses/homes?

if the people there want it, they should pay for it

and if the company thinks people will pay for it, they should deploy it on their own

I want to see speeds go up as much as the next guy

but why is the federal government spending 85 million dollars to upgrade 20K businesses/homes?

if the people there want it, they should pay for it

and if the company thinks people will pay for it, they should deploy it on their own

Because it would have never happends without the money being there upfront.

Cable companies will sit on coaxial cable for as long as they can, with the government doing this everyone will benefit in that foot print. Just look at it this way if they took 5% of the military budget and spent in on fibre you could probably wire like 30% of the whole country. But instead they blow it on fighter jets...

Last edited:
Our Federal tax dollars at work! VTel got a load of fed money to bring broadband to all of Vermont and they have failed miserably. Using outdated information (2009) they have used Fed money to build wireless internet (heavily capped and expensive) towers in locations already served by other providers. They get money for building the towers and don't care about the competition or providing a needed service. In the meantime there are big swaths of the state without service. Carpetbaggers at best.
See: http://www.wcax.com/story/27686965/communities-question-need-for-vtel-towers

Caps are so stupidly lame! Need to be illegal in all 50 states by federal statue.

Should be like the good old days. Paying strictly for the speed. Period! After all, that is all the ISP is paying for. CAPS are total rip off.

THIS. A thousand times this. The industry is screwing us blind. 2.5 tb a month is indeed a lot of data, but we all know the industry is pushing for higher resolution video and audio, the games are becoming absurdly huge and manufacturers are going to make IoT the new unnecessary necessity - and probably involuntary within a few years. They won't be happy until every electrically powered device you own is transferring at least a MB of data per second so your toothbrush can record video of your mouth. Meanwhile my options for broadband are...cell service with a 2.5gb threshold until my speed gets cut by 90%. Seeing as how the best I can do is 250kbs or so, I can't even do Windows updates or download a single game without my connection being rendered unusable. Forget about video or even much audio streaming. Did I mention that I have to use trickery to tether my phone because my carrier wants an extra $40 a month for the privilege of paying for my data twice?

I have 1000/200 Mbps internet at home for like 10 euro / month. No data cap either.

[URL=http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/4422048818][/URL]

Satish Mallya is basically right. It's almost useless, but I couldn't resist because it was so cheap.

I work from home and I have to download huge video captures daily for my work routine. I thought this connection would help me save some time, only to find out that half the FTP's I work with have a 100 Mbps limited outgoing connection (upload speed).

Unless you're the kind of pirate that gets hundreds of torrents per day (and this speed WILL help with torrents), it's pretty much seconds you're saving compared a to regular 100 Mbps connection, so paying through your nose for anything more than that is a waste of money IMO.

Now $60/month is bearable for most families, probably, but 400 would put a dent in most people's family earnings, I guess. The law of diminishing returns seems to apply here as well.

Last edited:
Our Federal tax dollars at work! VTel got a load of fed money to bring broadband to all of Vermont and they have failed miserably. Using outdated information (2009) they have used Fed money to build wireless internet (heavily capped and expensive) towers in locations already served by other providers. They get money for building the towers and don't care about the competition or providing a needed service. In the meantime there are big swaths of the state without service. Carpetbaggers at best.
See: http://www.wcax.com/story/27686965/communities-question-need-for-vtel-towers
Didn't Verizon do the exact same thing in New Jersey?
http://www.niemanwatchdog.org/index.cfm?backgroundid=631&fuseaction=background.view

Just give me 100MB for $4, which is proportional. So how is it we only have 10MB (and struggle to get that) for around $40? Another instance of taking our wallets for hardly anything in return. Where is Robin Hood when you need him?

Man, give me 10Mb a second & I'll be in heaven. We are so behind here in Australia
I suppose, given enough energy drink and a constant snoot full of methamphetamine, you could probably put a quarter of that bandwidth to good use. (y)

Last edited:
Back