Vertical Colored Line when playing games. (Or other 3D programs)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr. Grim

Hello, I'm new here. Not an expert on computers, but can't figure out how to fix it. When I start playing a game, ethier instanly, or a few seconds after starting it, these colored vertical line show up. (some times it's like a blue grid to.) after i somehow exit the game, it still shows, uintil I resatart my computer. I have tried updateing my Video card drivers, but still nothing. This started after I got my computer reformated. This sucks, since I just bought Start Wars Emiper at War. :(

Also, if my computer has been turned off for a long while, it doesn't want to turn on. All that haapens is that the fans turn on. I have to keep turning it on and off till it works. Any Ideas? :confused: It's probly ethier my motherboard or my graphics card.

My system specs:

CPU: Intel® Pentuim 4 @ 2.53 Ghz
Video: ATI All-in-Wonder® 9800 PRO
RAM: 1024 Mb
Audio: SoundMAX Integrated Digital Audio
Mother Board: Intel® Desktop Board D845EBT

Please help.

**bump** come on, can nobody give me a suggestion, answer, or a single reply?

Sounds to me like it is the card, got some RAM going bad or already there.

Hate to say bad news but every time ive seen that a graphics card replacement fixed it. The not turning on is another key clue.

The after format is wierd but could be coincidental, make sure it is seated securely one and you could have a bad driver as well.

Why did you format?? That could play in.

Well I formated because the computer couldn't turn off, then one day when I turned it on, it said "NTLDR is cpmpressed - press Ctrl + Alt + Delete to restart" so I had it re-formated. Afterwards, this happenes.

As for the GFX card replaced, I think my warenty would replace it. But I did have a problem with drivers, at a point it said that I didn't have any 3D hardware O.o So I reinstalled the drivers and doesn't say that anymore. Also, when I go to "Run -> dxdiag" and test the Direct 3D, it's fine.

(I only got the GFX card maby 3-4 months ago, it's bad already :( )

As for bad RAM, I got new ones around the same time I got the GFX card, so whats up with that. :(

I meant the RAM on the card itself, not your system RAM.

I doubt very highly its your motherboard.

There is also the possibility, however slight, that your power supply itself is on the way out, maybe not supplying enough power or just not enough "clean" power to your card and the rest of the system. That could cause the very symptoms you are desribing.

Things like that are hard to track down w/o spare parts. It will quite often turn out to be something you didnt even expect.

Well, I did have some renovations being done in my house a whil ago, and ALOT of dust did get into my comp. I cleaned most of it, but not inside the power supply. COuld that have an effect on it?

It is possible, yes, anything is really.

Power supplies require heatsinks to dissapate heat generated while working, if they were covered up to thickly in dust that COULD have a negative effect.

The have heatsinks! O.o Never knew that ( what a n00b) I will try to clean it out, as I never have before.

They also have capcitors that will can an electrical charge for quite a while after being unplugged, be careful if you are going to mess around in there. Just get compressed air or an air compressor and blow it out.

Well, Im back. After I cleaned outt he power supply, it didn't want to turn on at all. :( Then one day, it came back to life, and workied for 2-3 days, now it's starting to have the same problem, again. :( Any more ideas?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back