TechSpot

Verto GeForce FX 5500 Graphics Card Questions

By Pheryllt
Jan 4, 2006
  1. I am planning on getting The GeForce FX 5500 Graphics card to play the Matrix Online. The game requires a DirectX 9.0 capable Card with A programmable Shader, I know the Graphics card is DirectX 9.0 Capable but does it have a Programmable Shader??? And is this graphics card as good or better than a GeForce 3Ti or 4Ti??

Thanks.

2. Vaerilis

Vaerilis TS Rookie Posts: 64

The game requires a DX9 compatible card, but it doesn't require a card with DX9 features (like Pixel Shader 2.0). So the following cards would be able to run the game: GF 3, GF 4 Ti (not MX!), Radeon 8500, Radeon 9000 and above, Geforce FX, 6, 7, and the Radeon X-series.
    If you want to get a card at a reasonable price, the FX5500 might be a bad idea performance-wise. It's a better choice than a Geforce 3, but inferior to the GeForce Ti 4200/4400/4600/4800 cards. Although the Ti 4x00 series cards dont't boast DX9 features, their performence is better than that of an FX5500.
    An FX 5500/5600 card is too weak to give an enjoyable gaming experience in a DX9-heavy game, anyway.

What's your budget?

Depending on your budget, there could be lots of better alternatives than the ones I've mentioned above.
    Also, here's a link to the Matrix online FAQ.

3. Pheryllt

Pheryllt TS Member Topic Starter Posts: 68

My buget is only about $80. If there are good ones around that price that would be a good match for the game I would apreciate it.

Thanks.

4. cyrax

cyrax TS Rookie Posts: 72

$80? My honest opinion is to save a $20 more and get a 6600 256mb. Why? because the 5500 was , lets be frank, weak. That game will chugg, lag and sputter. save a little and buy a little better. you will appreciate it in the long run.

5. Vaerilis

For ~100$, you could get a vanilla GeForce 6600 (I guess you need an AGP card, not a PCI-Express one) , something like this, but for ~80$, the best choice would probably be one of the 9600XTs like this one.
    However, an ordinary (128bit, and not 64bit) 6600 is so much better than a 9600XT, that the 25% increase in price is worth the big jump in performance.
    Both cards are much better than an FX 5500.

6. Pheryllt

I was looking and I cant find a GeForce 6600 256mb for under $150. Would the RADEON 9250 256MB be a good card for the Matrix online since it is under $100 dollars??

7. Vaerilis

The Radeon 9250 is a vastly inferior card.
    128 or 256 MB, it doesn't matter for a card like this. Don't worry, there is no noticeable difference in terms of performance between a 128MB and a 256MB 6600.
    As I said, this card is a pretty good alternative at 115$.
    This one is sweet at 118$ as well.

8. Pheryllt

By the way my computer has 3 PCI slots and 1 AGP slot.

9. Vaerilis

Then you will need an AGP card, like the ones recommended above.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.