Verto PNY Geforce 4 Ti 4400 problem

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,

I am having the most messed up problem that I've ever had with my computer. I bought a Verto PNY Geforce 4 Ti 4400 about 2 months ago. And it worked fine for about a month. It worked great actually. But then I decided to tweak the bios and increase the FSB a little....and ever since then my computer has gone down the crapper.

My system is as follows:

AMD XP2000
Abit KR7A-Raid(ATA-133)
512MB Crutial DDR RAM
400 watt Enermax-Like PSU
PNY GeForce 4 Ti 4400 ???
Sound Blaser Live 5.1 X-Gamer
-and other crap...
Oh yeah....Windows 2000 Professional

The problem that I'm having is as follows.
If my computer is turned on after being off for a while, it boots fine and Windows looks to be in great shape....Everything looks normal for about 20 minutes. Then things start to get outlined in yellow. For example text and icons. Then little yellow dots start to appear in a uniform pattern. Then the dots turn into vertical lines. Still yellow, if that makes a difference. Then the computer locks up if I try to click on something. I can't move the mouse, the keyboard is locked. Everything.

I have the lates 4-in-1 drivers, the latest bios (9n) and the latest nVidia drivers.

Can someone please help me?

Thank you,
Paul

I feel sure you've tried restoring the old settings. If not, just load all defaults in your BIOS, and tweak it back to what you had before, without the extra tweaking. (If that made any sense at all :dead: )

Exactly how much did you up the FSB? And what did you mess with in the BIOS? Be as exact as you can.

Your problem is that your video card just doesn't like the overclock.

Note that overclocking the FSB also overclocks the PCI and AGP clocks. PCI clock = FSB/4, AGP Clock = FSB/2.

So for a 266DDR system the fsb is 133Mhz, PCI = 33.25Mhz and the AGP = 66.5Mhz. If you increase to a fsb of 143Mhz, the effective overclock of the AGP is 5Mhz. This is most likely the cause of all your problems. If you haven't already remove your oveclock of the fsb.

Not that some systems allow adjustment to the AGP and PCI dividers (so that you can change the fsb without altering the AGP and PCI speeds), but this isn't a very widespread implementation and I don't think the motherboard that you have supports this.

I messed around with the bios a lot. I maxed out all the ram timings and everything....then I reset em all and tried only FSB overclocking....I got is stable with a 154 MHz FSB....then I combined the two....and had some pretty agressive timings for ram and a FSB of 150. That ran fine for a while...now it all went to sh*t...I'm running a geforce 2 gts right now...and it runs fine...so I'm not sure if it's the mobo...Oh yeah, I have reset the Bios so many times...and I have loaded the defaults....and the fail safe defaults...nothing works for this damn beast....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back