Very angry with SUSE linux 9.3 It will not compile installers through konsole

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wotrop

I have been at this for several days. I must have looked at a million sites on what your supposed to do after getting tar.gz files or gz2 or whatever.

All that I want is a bit torrent client so I ca get "run"'s off my friends. (they duno the gz thingy ether) However as muchas I try to do the thingy in the console I always think im doing it wrong. Even if i fallow instructions word for word.

I need to know how to do this in plain english. Prontend that I havedown Sindrom perhaps?
as soon as I know this I will be as happy as a bird on a sunday.

And please spare me other posts. Trust me I took time to read them all. :dead:

A8V-E deluxe
3200+ A64
512 megs of ram
450 watt power suply

SuSe 9.3 DVD :evil:

What exactly are you doing. What instructions are you following for example? I'm sorry but I haven't had the time to read through all compilation instructions available online :p Mentioning what sort of errors you are getting might help a little bit too.

the usual install sequence for Linux or Unix programs is

cd $the_directory
ungzip $package_name.tar.gz
tar -xf $package_name.tar
make config
make install​
This assumes you have a development environment already installed and you make need to be ROOT to perform the last step
su -c 'make install'​
If there are errors, you need to resolve them one at a time, top down.

To extract .tar.bz2 files:

tar jxfv package

To extract .tar.gz files:

tar zxfv package

Usually before make commands, you have to ./configure the source code first, jobeard.

Usually before make commands, you have to ./configure the source code first, jobeard.​
Yep. I reported what I was last working on. Your suggestion is more typical.

Nodsu wanted my error report. After I do anything the konsole just does nothing. It will go on to another line disregarding what you just typed in.
***UPDATE***
i tried installing flash torrent.
I had root powers
access denied :suspiciou

one normally one logs into a TERMINAL rather than working from the console.
the login creates an environment that one can use productively. The console
is primarily a visable log and the environment is minimal.

Konsole is under my list of terminals.

I have:
bluetooth terminal
Linux 32 bit konsole
shell konsole
Termanal Program Super User mode
X terminal

I am sure I can exclude bluetooth terminal.

What terminal do I use?

All of them should work. X terminal is the baseline in which everything will work.

BTW many commands in unix provide no output when they succeed. Your vague "not working" posts are still not helpful. Exact descriptions of what you do (copy-paste from the terminal), links to the instructions might help.

i cant copy and paste because there is nothing to cut and paste. As i said, it starts a new line for no aperent reason.

The only way I can figure this out is if i found someone to go step by step with me through m.s.n or 1 on 1. Any volunteers?

ok i tried somthing new. Here are my results

shane@linux:~> tar zxfv flashtorrent5.8.7_linuxnoarch
tar: flashtorrent5.8.7_linuxnoarch: Cannot open: No such file or directory
tar: Error is not recoverable: exiting now
tar: Child returned status 2
tar: Error exit delayed from previous errors

as reffering to Mictlantecuhtli

As it says in plain english, it cannot find the file you speciied.

The file name should have a tar.gz or .tgz extension a la flashtorrent5.8.7_linuxnoarch.tgz or flashtorrent5.8.7_linuxnoarch.tar.gz . Check that the file actually exists in the directory you are in.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back