Very Critical Mistake!!! Please Help!

By FrostX
Mar 28, 2007
  1. I have an AMD Athlon-64 processor, when I was cleaning up my computer I twisted some Pins of the processor, what can I do if they broke? is there a way to fix them?
  2. RickM

RickM TS Member Posts: 27

Hi FrostX,
    If you bent the pins you may be able to straighten them by very slowly bending them back into position.
    If you broke the pins you have a major problem.
    I do not think there is any way to repair that problem.
    I hope things work out for the best.
  3. topps999

topps999 TS Rookie Posts: 139

yup rickm is right, broken pins = new processor needed
    bent = slight chance of workin + probably will snap about 1 of out 3, this is why i got my new computer not so long ago as i was installin a thermaltake fan and my cpu poped out and wen putting back in bend a few then broke them :(
  4. FrostX

FrostX TS Rookie Topic Starter

will if it is slightly broken will it damage my mobo???
  5. topps999

slightly broken? :S it wont damage ur mobo, but mayb there is chance of repair.
  6. SNGX1275

SNGX1275 TS Forces Special Posts: 10,689   +395

In CPUs there is either not broke or broke, there is no middle ground. You'd be wasting your time installing a CPU without all the pins. Buy a new one and learn from the expierence.
  7. captaincranky

captaincranky TechSpot Addict Posts: 11,466   +1,760

In Intel We trust....

At this point we should all take a moment to thank God for the LGA775.
  8. Rayss523

Rayss523 TS Enthusiast Posts: 102

I think your screwed.
  9. topps999

lmao ^^ ray = many correct =] get a new cpu, (unless u mean they are bent then try to SLOWLY! bend them back but i'd give a 1 out of 3 possibility of them breakin like i sed before i had the exact same problem luckily it was on a 2.4 celeron xD! lmfao! )
  10. FrostX

FrostX TS Rookie Topic Starter

:_(. I don't understand, all the pins are back to normal but still the computer won't start...what can I do..?

Iam sure it is the CPU not working, I checked everyting else.
  11. Computer~freak~

Computer~freak~ TS Rookie Posts: 157

just bend the pins back slowly with needle nose pliars if a pin broke i would still try installing it becuase on a old p3 system i had a pin broken on the processor and it still worked.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.