TechSpot

Very low FPS in games

By GM.
Jul 13, 2007
  1. Alright so I got this hp slimline 3020 off of a friend for 300 and have been using it for a while now and its been decent. I picked up counterstrike source and have been playing it for a while but at times it lagggs pretty bad. Sometimes its not bad to play but sometimes its not worth it. When I play half life 2 its actually pretty decent and not as bad. Right now it has a nvidia geforce 6150 le graphics card and 1gb of ram. What could be some hop ups that would allow me to play at a higher FPS in these games? Im not a huge game at all, just something I like to do on my free time. So I was thinking of getting 2 240 Pin DDR-2 533MHz cards to upgrade it to 2gbs. What would be a decent video card that wouldnt break my wallet and help with my problem? Also what else would need to be done if I installed the RAM and video card?

Any help is greatly appreciated! Thanks

2. pdyckman@comcas

pdyckman@comcas TS Rookie Posts: 527

There are so many graphics processors available now. I use "Tiger Direct" for product research in this type of situation. Go to "video cards" and start looking. I selected the "PCI'e" heading, then chose "by price" ($100 to $200). Go to "detailed specs". Look for high core clock,(400 to 500 mhz), memory (1200mhz and up). High bandwidth is important. Look for 23 to 40 GB's/sec. A video card upgrade sometimes require a a power supply upgrade as well. Don't skimp on the PSU. A lot of power makes a machine happy! Good Luck.

3. GM.

GM. TS Rookie Topic Starter

Alright so I found a decent card for around 130. But about the power supply, how many watts should I get? And wouldnt it be a problem to fit this into the tiny case of the pc? The computer is very small and I might have a problem if i get a larger psu. But the pci video card should fit as I hear.

4. munch2477

munch2477 TS Enthusiast Posts: 104

There are a lot of guides and sites you should look at before buying anything. Sometimes you can solve your problems without spending any money. Check these sites out...

http://www.gotfrag.com/portal/forums/thread/146862/

http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=523089

Before you purchase anything you should also try out in game tweaks. I know i had the same problem as you with my laptop and before i went out and bought anything i did some stuff to my computer first.

1) First i tweaked windows. That helps with startup times and just frees up the machine a little. Here is a good link for this...

http://www.techreviewer.com/viewpage.cfm/ui/040226130402

2) I tweaked my configuration for cs source also. This is a very good cfg file for doing this. This really helped out my in game fps...

http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=453432

3) the last thing i did that really helped (and turned out to be my main problem) was add cool air flow to the bottom of my laptop. I know i have a laptop and is probably more important for me but make sure your equipment is running at a cool temperature.

5. GM.

GM. TS Rookie Topic Starter

Thanks for all that good info! I did a lot of the tweaks in the cfg folder. It lost some of the quality but it runs a lot better now for sure. I also play it in a smaller window now which seemed to help too. I did the stress test and its running at around 52fps. Not the greatest but its definatly playable now. Before I was running at around 11.52 fps which really sucked. But halflife 2 ran great in a full window and is even better now!

6. munch2477

munch2477 TS Enthusiast Posts: 104

yeah unfortunately without upgrading any parts you tend to lose quality but gain performance with any in game tweaks. If you cant live without the high quality then i suggest you upgrade some of your parts.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.