Very SLOW Motherboard... or is it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok, here's my problem;
I bought a motherboard replacement off ebay because my old one's mouse port stopped working. It's an ASUS A7N266-VM/AA, the exact same version and revision as my old motherboard. Here's the confusing part-- I move my HDD, RAM, CPU, video card, cd rom, etc... over to the new one, and it takes like 20 minutes just to show the WinXP login screen!
I can start it up in safe mode, but again it is quite slow, but not as slow as just normally starting it up. When I get to the desktop I ctrl+alt+del to show system performance, the CPU usage is at 100%, and when I go to processes, System use is at 97%.

When I take everything back out and put it back into my old motherboard it works fine (except the mouse port, of course).

It's not the BIOS. I moved the old BIOS chip into the new one to make sure of it, it shows the correct version information and I've set it to the settings I have on my old mobo.

It's not any of the peripherals (keyboard, mouse, cd rom).
It's not the operating system or the hard drive, I used an old hard drive and installed winxp onto that to see if it was a driver problem or something; it's not.

Any ideas?

One thing you might try is flash the bios other wise use a program and check to see maybe one of the memory ports are bad, check to see if memory is properly seated, nothing on any of the contacts (ex. Corrsion) good luck.

Squirrel448 said:
my old one's mouse port stopped working.
Do you mean both PS/2 and USB ? Replacing the motherboard seems like an extreme solution,if it`s only your PS/2 that has a problem.

Hello! Welcome to TechSpot!

Squirrel448 said:
It's not the BIOS. I moved the old BIOS chip into the new one to make sure of it, it shows the correct version information and I've set it to the settings I have on my old mobo.
???
Or do you mean updated the bios?
Take a close look at all the capacitors, see if any are domed or leaking.
Most often it will be the caps in between the cpu & IO ports (where you plug external things into, mouse, keyboard etc.)
Could be the problem with both boards.
Best of Luck

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back