Very slow startup loading taskbar

Status
Not open for further replies.

ptitterington

I am having a frustrating time with my system.
When I restart the desktop loads fine but the task bar takes about 2 minutes before the cursor changes to a pointer and the start is accessable. In the meantime I can access all areas via shortcuts from the desktop.
I have now reinstalled xp in the hope of getting rid of this and deleted as many un necessary progs.
It started around the time i fitted the new sound and graphics cards. SB Audigy and Geforce 4 ti4200.
I have downloaded new drivers for both I also removed the playcenter and wverything else except the drivers for the sound card.
any Ideas
xp home 512sdram 1.4athlon Epox 8kta3pro 2 hd (1 on raid)
usual other stuff.

I know mine loads very slow, but that is due to the firewalls and things on startup. If it is trying to load 4 things at once it takes a while. That is one thing I have noticed, so now I have just learned to be patient with it and wait for it to finish. Other than that, I would say take things off of startup and load them manually. That would probably increase load time.

If you run taskmgr on startup (I think every NT user should), you'll probably see what's using CPU. I bet it will be services.

I wish I knew what a lot of them do but the only ones that appear to use cpu are svchost.exe using 01 and 18624k
and at the borrom system idle process cpu 99 20k???

ptitterington said:
I am having a frustrating time with my system.
When I restart the desktop loads fine but the task bar takes about 2 minutes before the cursor changes to a pointer and the start is accessable. In the meantime I can access all areas via shortcuts from the desktop.

I'm having exactly the same problem as well and while the taskbar is still not accessable, taskmanager shows that the system idle process is at 99% and nothing appears to be using the cpu.
xp home 1gb ddr400 3.0ghz P4 intel82915G express chipset

any ideas how to fix this?

While in taskmanager do you see explorer.exe as as running task? That is what controls the taskbar.

You can also try going to File>>"New Task" on the Task Manager and run explorer.exe.

BTW
:wave:Welcome to TechSpot:wave:

Would you please take a few moments to read the following. It will help to make your Techspot experience a more pleasurable one.

Techspot FAQ.
A message for all newcomers.
SNGX1275`s A guide to making a good post/thread.
Thanks.

explorer.exe is everything to do with windows that you see on screen so if explorer.exe wasn't running you wouldn't get any shortcut icons either

it's a strange problem though, i will admit :D

Try the following:

first go to Start>Programs>Accessories>System Tools>Disk Cleanup and clean up the things such as temporary files etc.

Go to Start>Programs>Accessories>Disk Defragment and defragment the drive Windows is using (probably C:)

After that download Uniblue's Registry Booster 2 (link), run a full scan and clean up the registry.

If that doesn't do trick I'm afraid you'll have to wait for someone else to give some advice..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back