Very strange things goin on with my optical drives. . . can anyone help?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MetalX

I have been having problems with my optical drives for the past few weeks. My cd burner is being recognised by windows but it is disabled and whever i try to enable it, it doesnt work. Also, my DVD-drive is somehow still recognised by windows even when i unplugged it completely and took it out of my case. Does anyone know what could be happening?

EDIT-- Both drives are IDE and are connected on the same IDE cable.

Are your jumpers set correctly? What does it say in they BIOS? Have you tried reinstalling the drivers?

Also i had a problem where my drives dissapeared due to a virus. Make sure you have a firewall and antivirus. Download the free Zonealarm and AVG if you dont have a Firewall or Antivirus.

Do you have any software on your machine that creates virtual drives? if not then try uninstalling hte IDe channel the drive is on in device manager under "IDE ATA|ATAPI Controllers" then reboot and windows will reinstall the channel and the drive. if that does not fix it then it may be the Cd burner is defective and is causing the problem.

The jumpers are set correctly and I did try to reinstall the IDE like you said iss but it still didn't work. I took out a CD-ROM drive from an old computer and swapped it with the burner and it and the dvd player both worked. Also, when i put the burner in another computer it worked as well... it seems that it has a problem with my main computer.

One of them must be slave, the other master. Check connections and if problem persists use a new IDE cable. Download drivers for all and make sure you have sp2 installed.

Regards,

Korrupt

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back