TechSpot

Very Very Slow Cold Bootup

By Geminite
Mar 3, 2005
  1. Hi, I was just wondering if anyone could figure out a problem of mine.

I don't understand why my computer cold boots so slow. It takes around 5-10 mins to start up while a warm boot would take 15 seconds.

The computer seems to be loading a lot of stuff when I cold boot, but I don't know what would be causing it. I already have tweaked my computer to boot as quick as it can (disabled uncessary services, used bootvis)

I set my anti virus not to scan on start up, so I don't know what else it could be.

I tried both WINXP + SP1 and WINXP + SP2 and the problem is the same.

I'm running a
    p4 3.0
    512 dual channel ram
    radeon 8500 AIW
    2x 200 GB Seagate HDs

Can anyone help me figure this out?

Thanks

2. RealBlackStuff

RealBlackStuff TS Rookie Posts: 8,165

What are the specs of your power-supply? It might be under-performing, if this is one of those cheap PSUs that come with a case, when you build your own.
    Check for dustbunnies in the fans of CPU, PSU and AGP-card.
    Is 48-bit LBA enabled in BIOS for those big harddisks??

3. Geminite

Geminite TS Rookie Topic Starter

Thanks a lot, I will try that.

I'm running a good PS: Zalman ZM300b-APS (the noiseless switching power supply)

I tried most of the usual stuff like Bootvis, disabling useless services, defragging.

I'm just wondering what could be causing such a slow cold boot, while a regular boot is so fast.

Thanks again.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.