Very weird BSOD issue... Ram related

By omar5575
Nov 2, 2008
  1. Basically, i built my own rig a week ago and had nothing but BSOD's, after endless testing and reformatting vista :'( i found that it was ONE of the 2 ram sticks (totalling 2gb) was fubar. So i took that one out and my rig now works fine with just one of them in...but its a certain one, not any one. I then put the other stick in by itself and found i got a BSOD again.

BUT the issue here is, If i put BOTH in (in same slots which HAVE been tested) that i can boot up into safe mode and do anything there but in normal mode it just blurts out the BSOD!

and bare in mind i have done ramtests with no issues. Reformatting wont do anything as i already have...any suggestions?

Iv had loads before and im used to fixing them but this is really mind bending!

Thank you ever so much!
  2. CCT

CCT TS Evangelist Posts: 2,653   +6

You are clear as mud!

2 sticks = fail
    1 stick = fail
    1 stick = ok
    replace the bad stick

Or are you actually saying the slot is bad, not the ram.
  3. almcneil

almcneil TS Guru Posts: 1,277

The reason you can boot to Safe Mode with both sticks but not to Normal Mode is that not the entire stick is bad. One difference with Safe Mode is that you are using a subset of Windows and minimal hardware, hence, fewer device drivers. Your overall memory usage is a lot lower. Therefore, you're not using the full range of that bad stick. In Normal Mode you are and you sooner or later hit that bad memory location and BSOD!!

-- Andy
  4. omar5575

omar5575 TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 21

Yeah i figured that! i also noticed that it let me log on for a while, then the second i started opening things the BSOD showed up meaning that it went to that bad RAM. Weird thing is it was working fine up until reformatted! i was sick of it and i went out, gave it into a pawn shop, got a tenner for it and got a 512mb stick instead, the point is the stick passed the test at the shop! My rig is working now but i still think we have to see what the issue is here because many people are getting this...i thought this was fixed on Nforce 4 series chips in SP1!!!

Looks like its an epic phail for microsoft yet again.

oh and CCT the slot is fine, i got the 512 second hand stick in working and tis all good...might get some more :p
  5. CCT

You might have been better off trying a new 1 Gb stick again.

Ah well.

I did find an item in a post here:

"I had the same problem and ASUS tech support was of no help. I did however find the culpret in the BIOS setup. Go to Advanced, Chipset, NorthBridge Chipset, and Memory Configuration. Set the Bank Interleaving to Disabled and save the settings. Check these settings also while you are there:
    Channel Interleaving = Auto
    Enable clock to all DIMMS = Disabled
    Memory Tristate = Disabled
    Memory Hole = Enabled
    Unganged Mode = Enabled
    Power Down Enable = Enabled
    Power Down Mode = Channel
    By Wayne F"
  6. omar5575

i shall check my settings and see of they were set like that...if not ill go and buy my ram back :'(

even though ill still be 512mb of ram better off :p thanks alot for the advice! ill post back saying my findings :)
  7. CCT

Actually, with the 2 x 1 Gb you get dual channel - that's all you want in there, really.
  8. omar5575

okay...i done some checks in my BIOS and this guy has a different BIOS than mine, i dont have a section where i can change the northbridge config! only south
    i can change my memory settings etc but they are NOTHING like what he was describing. i can certainly go and find out the definitions of what he said and apply them here, but that will take ages! and, im getting another 1GB stick soon to see if it was just my stick or what!, so i will have 2x1 dual channel yet a 512 single...the more the merrier! But i will certainly get some more info on this! thanks a bunch for finding that link! how the heck i didnt check Fixya i dont a member for god sake!
  9. CCT

Make sure your Bios is up to date then - gl anyway
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.