VGA Cooling. Help Please.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have an Nvidia Geforce 6600 and want to cool it down. However the products I've seen require screwing a fan and/or heat sink onto the video card which I have no problem with doing. My only consern is: my card has a 4 pin power plug connected to the PSU and the cooling units that have been reviewed as worth buying would all render the jack unreachable should they be installed. I don't have the OEM manual anymore and want to know if this power jack is for the onboard fan or for the gpu? Pretty much, will the card work if I unplug the thing? I haven't attempted to fool around with it yet as I'd like to hear from people who have had experience with it and I really can't afford frying my card. Any feed back would be helpfull.

Hello, turbotime, and welcome to Techspot :wave:

Please take a moment to read the following threads to make your experience here as enjoyable as possible :)

Message for all newcomers

SNGX1275's Guide to making a good post/thread

The Techspot FAQ

If you could take a minute to fill in some of your profile information that would be helpful to all members of the forum :)
Knowing someone's location in the world can be extremely helpful, even if you just put a country.

Also remember to post any problems or questions that you have in the appropriate forums

With regards to your problem, you do not want to unplug that cord, it gives the card extra power that the agp/pci-e slot can't give. Look into zalman heatsinks, they work really well and shouldn't block off your plug, although i haven't seen a 6600 but if it's anything like my 6800 you should be ok :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back