Via Making CPU's?

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

tifc8lraz

I found this on newegg, and I looked at the specs and was baffled at the fact that it says it runs on a "VIA C3 1GHz" Processor...Can anyone explain this? I've never seen nor heard about this cpu...if it is one. I am familiar with Via chipsets; I had one on my old mobo.

Something screams either server, or client computer :suspiciou...

Yeah, they use those CPUs on Mini ITX boards. If they're anything like VIA/S3 integrated graphx, you know as well as I do that they must suck :D

Yeah, I had an S3 Unichrome IGP on my old motherboard and kept screaming at it....literally :(.

Try playing SimCity 4 with that and a Socket 462 Sempron 3000+. Actually don't, it'll give you high blood pressure :)

Try playing The Sims 2 on a 2.66GHz Celeron w/S3 Unichrome Graphics @ 64MB. I almost died from anger ;)

Mini ITX boards, w/their small size, are seriously underpowered; they might work better for embedded applications.

What is the point of a MiniITX board if it's underpowered? Something tells me it's for client computers or servers...

Embedded applications.

Like a Wal-mart photo center :)

They don't provide enough power for most computer users, but for stuff like that they work just fine.

Yeah

Via has been making stuff forever....Wal-Mart actually carries some off brand OEM computer that I never heard of with VIA CPU's. I almost pooped myself when I seen the Via C3 logo on the box.

They were actually pretty popular back in the socket 370 days....As they where a cheap alternative to P3's

Yeah VIA makes really bad CPUs. If you game don't get one, if all you do is check you email and type up papers then it might match you perfectly. Otherwise they are not for enthusiasts.

Not to be disagreeable, but I thought that the plural of words is made by adding s or whatever, but I didn't think apostrophes were ever used in plurals. Or is it just that way for acronyms?

Apostrophes are used in plural forms of letters that appear in lowercase (a's and b's, for example).

Possessive nouns are a different topic (and this is already off-topic enough).

You DO know VIA was formerly Cyrix (the former 3rd maker of x86 CPU's back in the 286/386/486 days)?

So yes.. they have a long history of making CPU's... just got a bit whacked when going against the x86 giants to market.

...and I still don't understand Mac's old classification system...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back