TechSpot

Via Making CPU's?

By cfitzarl
Feb 20, 2007
  1. I found this on newegg, and I looked at the specs and was baffled at the fact that it says it runs on a "VIA C3 1GHz" Processor...Can anyone explain this? I've never seen nor heard about this cpu...if it is one. I am familiar with Via chipsets; I had one on my old mobo.

Something screams either server, or client computer :suspiciou...

2. kitty500cat

kitty500cat TS Rookie Posts: 2,407   +6

Yeah, they use those CPUs on Mini ITX boards. If they're anything like VIA/S3 integrated graphx, you know as well as I do that they must suck :D

3. cfitzarl

cfitzarl TechSpot Chancellor Topic Starter Posts: 2,520   +9

Yeah, I had an S3 Unichrome IGP on my old motherboard and kept screaming at it....literally :(.

4. kitty500cat

Try playing SimCity 4 with that and a Socket 462 Sempron 3000+. Actually don't, it'll give you high blood pressure :)

5. nickslick74

nickslick74 TS Rookie Posts: 883

Umm, I used to play CS 1.6 with a Duron 700. I don't think I have recovered yet...

6. Mictlantecuhtli

Mictlantecuhtli TS Evangelist Posts: 4,919   +9

7. cfitzarl

Try playing The Sims 2 on a 2.66GHz Celeron w/S3 Unichrome Graphics @ 64MB. I almost died from anger ;)

8. cfitzarl

I seriously did not know that. I guess they're not used much by normal computer gamers :) .

9. kitty500cat

Mini ITX boards, w/their small size, are seriously underpowered; they might work better for embedded applications.

10. wolfram

wolfram TechSpot Paladin Posts: 2,605   +9

Try playing FS9 with a 2.8 Ghz Celeron and a S3 IGP..... Hmm, actually, you can play it :)

11. cfitzarl

What is the point of a MiniITX board if it's underpowered? Something tells me it's for client computers or servers...

12. kitty500cat

Embedded applications.

Like a Wal-mart photo center :)

They don't provide enough power for most computer users, but for stuff like that they work just fine.

13. wolfram

Or for your mom's PC who only plays Solitaire for example :)

14. cfitzarl

...if my mom ever used a computer...;)

15. JimShady23

JimShady23 TS Maniac Posts: 651

Yeah

Via has been making stuff forever....Wal-Mart actually carries some off brand OEM computer that I never heard of with VIA CPU's. I almost pooped myself when I seen the Via C3 logo on the box.

They were actually pretty popular back in the socket 370 days....As they where a cheap alternative to P3's

1 person likes this.
  16. wolfram

But even Celeron processors were usually faster that some C3's.

17. JimShady23

JimShady23 TS Maniac Posts: 651

Yeah

I think the C3's where even cheaper than the Celery's Not sure....

18. beef_jerky4104

beef_jerky4104 Banned Posts: 1,094

Yeah VIA makes really bad CPUs. If you game don't get one, if all you do is check you email and type up papers then it might match you perfectly. Otherwise they are not for enthusiasts.

19. MetalX

MetalX TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 1,909

Umm why is the title of this post "Are apostrophes difficult to use?" Lol.

20. Mictlantecuhtli

Because they seem to be that for many users here.

21. kitty500cat

Not to be disagreeable, but I thought that the plural of words is made by adding s or whatever, but I didn't think apostrophes were ever used in plurals. Or is it just that way for acronyms?

22. Mictlantecuhtli

Apostrophes are used in plural forms of letters that appear in lowercase (a's and b's, for example).

Possessive nouns are a different topic (and this is already off-topic enough).

23. Sharkfood

Sharkfood TS Guru Posts: 1,199

You DO know VIA was formerly Cyrix (the former 3rd maker of x86 CPU's back in the 286/386/486 days)?

So yes.. they have a long history of making CPU's... just got a bit whacked when going against the x86 giants to market.

24. wolfram

I didn't know that. I still have around here a 233 Mhz Cyrix M2 I think... :)

25. cfitzarl

...and I still don't understand Mac's old classification system...

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.