VIAHardware's lowdown of IBM GXP hard disk 333 hours of use per month restriction

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arris

From www.viahardware.com/ibm120gxp.shtm :
The revelation that IBM’s 120GXP line of drives was only rated for 333 hours of usage per month kicked off a storm of controversy and discussion both here at VH and at other websites as well. With little actual data to go on, however, speculation has run rampant and official response has been scarce. VH launched its own investigation into the issue with the goal of examining IBM’s claims regarding the 120GXP’s optimum usage, whether such claims were sufficiently documented, and how consumers may wish to respond to the situation. We’ve organized this article in a question-and-answer format to allow for simpler organization and easier reading, with the questions themselves designed to walk a reader through the situation.

IBM, unfortunately, would not provide additional information or official comment on the 120GXP situation, despite repeated phone calls and requests for data.

News post with more details : http://www.3dspotlight.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=672

Source from : www.viahardware.com

Thanks Arris!
Though i'm too scared to read the full article (as my harddrives might they think should decided to crash), it's quite nice to get some more info on how I should set up my case...

Now i know I'm going to buy a harddrive fan..!

Sorry about double post (news and storage mania)

But I thought it was important incase people only read news or this forum ;)

Man, what is it with IBM and their hard drives? All I hear about is the problems they have with them. I personally have 2 deskstars that have run fine so far (fingers are crossed). Maybe IBM should take a bit of time off their servers to look at their hard drive issues.

Originally posted by SuperCheetah
Man, what is it with IBM and their hard drives? All I hear about is the problems they have with them. I personally have 2 deskstars that have run fine so far (fingers are crossed). Maybe IBM should take a bit of time off their servers to look at their hard drive issues.

I am with you Super, I just picked up two IBM's to run in raid. Then all the trouble came out. I have the 60 GXP's so I hope I Have no trouble or I will cross IBM off my list of hard drives to buy !1

Bear in mind that this information is most pertinent to people who are running the disks in a server or server type configuration
333 hrs of usage per month
Some of this reliability problem information has been floating around for a while but most members here that use them, the likes of Phantasm66 and others, have never posted anything about problems with them. I wouldn't worry about it too much unless your running your machine 24/7.

I have a pair of IBM 30Gigs - AAAgghhhh !

Seriously though :- what is the likelyhood of them failing - based on the fact I use them around 336 hours per month at around the minimum (i.e. 12 hours a day).

Never had an IBM drive and after all of this *crud, I suppose I never will. I have had nothing but trouble with WD myself; had three WD drives, 2 (15 GB and a 40 GB) die after running about a year or so. My 40 gig, which started to die about 3 weeks ago, got RMA'd and guess what? The replacement they sent me was bad, so now I have a replacement on the way for the replacement. My trusty old Maxtor 27 gig drive hasn't skipped a beat on almost three years, however.

(*edited by mod)

Now your making me worry about the WD that's in my 2nd machine - aaggggghhhh.

Does any company make a decent hard drive nowadays?:)

Originally posted by Th3M1ghtyD8
Now your making me worry about the WD that's in my 2nd machine - aaggggghhhh.

Does any company make a decent hard drive nowadays?:)

I have had problems with Maxtor before on several 4.3 hard drives. I am convinced that it was a production flaw considering I went thru 6 drives from 3 different people. However, I have used Maxtor again at the 27 gig and beyond ( I have a 40 in my system now) and have had no problems since. I have come to rely on them.

I had problems with Samsung drives too, and I have a friends computer here with a WD 13 gig and it has the "Click of death" sound to it. It will be replaced with a Maxtor.

I think it all has to do with the luck of the draw. I've heard horror stories from all different brands and stories of people who love every different make of hard drives. Hopefully I got a couple of quality hard drives.

My roomates IBM deskstar 13GB died, but his and my Maxtor have ran fine. Who knows, I think it just depends on what you happen to buy on that certain day as to whether your drive will work or not.

IBM rebuts 120GXP hard drive problem

Just noticed this on Inquirer:

BIG BLUE HAS WRITTEN to the INQUIRER and said the 120GXP "can and does" run 24 hours a day by seven days a week. A bit like the INQUIRER, then.

A representative for IBM's storage technology division wrote to the INQUIRER:

"I'm disappointed that you did not incorporate IBM's official position on this issue in your story. No one through any of my channels informed me of your inquiry, as I would've certainly responded.

"I want to put to rest any concerns you have on whether the Deskstar 120GXP can run 24x7; it can and it has.

Full article:http://www.theinquirer.net/19030220.htm

I'm still not convinced that all problems are solved. There has just been too many complaints and problems since the Deskstar's introduction. Just today I went to www.viahardware.com and they have three separate articles from other websites criticizing IBM for their handling of this situation.

http://www.viahardware.com/ibm120gxp.shtm

From www.tech-report.com

The 333 power-on hours (POH) defined in the 120GXP data sheet is not a new spec for our GXP drives; it is consistent with what we've held our desktop drives to in previous generation drives. The 333 power-on spec is not an indication of a maximum number of power-on hours or limitation of the Deskstar 120GXP.
Our specifications indicate that the 333 power-on hours per month represent typical desktop PC usage. This assumes an 11-hour day based on a 30 day month. Users can and have successfully run the drive more than 11 hours a day and 333 hours per month; the drives have been used successfully in 24x7 environments.

IBM stands by the 3-year warranty for the 120GXP. Power-on hours will not be a determining factor in negating the warranty.

IBM stands by the 3-year warranty for the 120GXP. Power-on hours will not be a determining factor in negating the warranty.

Thank you SuperCheetah! That put my mind at rest!

I have 2 IBM Deathstars. 1 60 gig and 1 30 gig, both 60GXPs. I had 1 die (30gig) after about 9 months. I got that one RMA'd. I run mine 24/7. Only time I shut them down is rare instances where I'll be home from college for longer than a weekend. I have noticed they get pretty hot when under even minimal use.

I agree with SNGX1275 when he saw that the Deskstars put off plenty of heat. That why I have a box fan blowing directly on the mobo and hard drives, to drive the heat away. How do you have your hard drives set up in the case SNGX1275???

I've heard you shouldn't put two drives on top of one another without really good cooling.

I haven't heard anything about the Seagate hard drives so they must be ok cooling wise, but don't take my word for it! :)

One last thing, no problem on the whole warranty thing, it put my mind to rest also ;)

I've heard you shouldn't put two drives on top of one another without really good cooling.

I haven't heard anything about the Seagate hard drives so they must be ok cooling wise, but don't take my word for it! :)

Ahh.. You just reminded me of something. The friend of mine complaining that the Seagates were very hot when he tried stacking 3 of them together.. Hehe.. My fault ;)

I agree with SNGX1275 when he saw that the Deskstars put off plenty of heat. That why I have a box fan blowing directly on the mobo and hard drives, to drive the heat away. How do you have your hard drives set up in the case SNGX1275???
Both on top of each other :) yeh I know not a good plan. But I didn't always have 2, the 1 I had first gets pretty hot by itself too.

Too bad I don't think I can put the floppy disk inbetween (IDE cables get in the way)

Originally posted by SNGX1275

Both on top of each other :) yeh I know not a good plan. But I didn't always have 2, the 1 I had first gets pretty hot by itself too.

Have you ran the Drive Fitness Test that IBM offers for their hard drives?

From http://www.thetechzone.com/reviews/cooler/inclose/baycooler2/page3.htm

I ended up using the IBM "Drive Fitness Test" which checks all performance aspects of the hard drive for potential failure. The Advanced Test includes a really intensive surface scan which can really create some heat from the prolonged disk access. The complete test is approximately 25 minutes long.

This test is supposed to stress your hard drive and report any potential errors or failures that might happen. IBM also offers plenty of features to go along with their hard drives that allow for temperature monitoring, very low level formatting, erase certain sectors, etc. The drive test and features are put on two separate floppy disks and run. They can be found here:

http://www.storage.ibm.com/hdd/support/download.htm

Maybe this can help some in determining if their drive is performing well and if the system temperatures are ok.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back