Videgames now Choppy, Skippy using almost new Laptop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello, I have a problem. My videocard is going crazy. All the Videogames I play are choppy and skippy for some reason. Yet the one game where it works fine is RTCW-Return to Castle Wolfenstein. I performed a clean install of windows xp, but the problem persists, which makes me think its not a software problem, but a hardware one. I'm a bit short on cash, and don't want to buy a new videocard for my laptop, but all options are open.

I have the Asus F3JP, upgraded to 2 GB of RAM, and working perfectly except for videogames. I bought it this January. Any information to help will be given, thanks so much for your help!

As a general rule, laptops don't have interchangeable video cards. They have on-board motherboard graphics chips. If you want to upgrade graphics, you have to change motherboards. This is very expensive and not practical to do

Chipset drivers, Graphics drivers, Update DirectX - usual suspects

have you trying going to run and typing in dxdiag to see if you can pass the 3D rendering tests under graphics

Yes

Yeah, I have. It turns out that the exact same thing happens with both directdraw and direct3d. I actually did a clean reinstall of windows xp, and the problem was still there, after updating my drivers with the ones given to me by asus on the preinstallation cd.

Generally, laptops are not for gaming. 'Desktop replacements' are expensive. If you want to make gaming a hobby, look for a used desktop with a decent CPU and room for a good amount of ram. Many P.C.'s go cheaply. Make sure there';s a PCI-E slot and gradually build it up. Good Luck.

Go to the ATI website and download drivers from there and install those ones, after uninstalling the old ones first. Drivers from cd's are always outdated unless it's a brand new card, hot from the factory ;)

pdyckman@comcas is right, though, laptops aren't generally designed for gaming unless you have something like a Dell XPS.

Thanks guys; apparently I needed to update my drivers to 7.9(7.11 don't work), and now CoD 4 is working smoothly.

Yeah, many people have told me it was a bad decision on my part to get a gaming laptop. That's ok, I was planning on only playing videogames on the pc for a couple more years anyway, then jumping on the console bandwagon.:)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back