Video card comparison, Pixel pipelines/clock speed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shaw23

I am looking at 2 video cards, X1950PRO and 7950GT.

The 1950 has higher core clock and memory clock speeds, but the 7950 has twice the amount of pixel pipelines. Which of these two specs are more important towards the performace of the card? I guess my main objective is that I am trying to find the best card for gaming on AGP at the moment. I am more drawn to the 1950 because of the fan that exhausts out through the back of the computer and the high clock speeds, but I wasnt sure if it would get owned by the 7950.

Thanks for the response. I did see that chart before but was unsure about how the differences between the AGP cards would relate to the differences between the PCI-X cards. Also the clock speeds on the 1950 in the link I provided are jacked up, almost like it is overclocked already.

I am just confused because I have seen people claim that the x1950PRO is the best out right now, but I have also seen that the X1950XT is the best, and have seen people say that the 7950GT is the best, but after comparing the specs on them all... I havent been able to find anything to tell me that one is much better than the other.

None of those are close to the best. The best out there is the Geforce 8800 Ultra. Followed by (in order): 8800GTX, 8800GTS 640, ATI HD 2900XT, 8800GTS 320, X1950XTX, X1950XT, 7950GX2, 7900GTX, 7950GT, X1950PRO.... and on it goes (bolded are the ones you mentioned).

Of the 7950GT and the X1950PRO, the 7950 is a lot better. But the X1950XT beats everything in the 7 series.

I now realize that in my last post I did not mention that I was looking for an AGP card. I did mention this in my first post, but should have done so as well in my last post.

With that being said, MetalX, thank you for your input. So are these the best two AGP cards atm, or are there better?

I would have to say GeForce 7950GT for a few reasons:

1. I like Nvidia :D
2. The 7950GT has 24 Pixel Pipelines whereas the X1950Pro has 12 with 36 Shader Processors.

7950GT said:
Chipset
Chipset Manufacturer NVIDIA
GPU GeForce 7950GT
Core clock 550MHz
PixelPipelines 24
Memory
Memory Clock 1400MHz
Memory Size 512MB
Memory Interface 256-bit
Memory Type GDDR3
X1950Pro said:
Chipset
Chipset Manufacturer ATI
GPU Radeon X1950PRO
Core clock 590MHz
PixelPipelines 12(36 Pixel shader processor)
Memory
Memory Clock 1540MHz
Memory Size 512MB
Memory Interface 256-bit
Memory Type GDDR3

it was my understanding that pixel pipelines are more important.

pixel pipelines cant be changed on a card, however clock speed can.

soo... you could get the 7950GT and then overclock it to X1950Pro speeds. providing you have a good power supply, good motherboard, good RAM and very good cooling.

HughJass said:
pixel pipelines cant be changed on a card, however clock speed can.

You're half right. I don't want to pick you apart but on certain s, they don't lock or laser cut the hidden pixel pipelines. A great example of this would be the GeForce 6-Series. You could make a GeForce 6200 into a GeForce 6800 by increasing the clock speed and unlocking the pixel pipelines....which change data to images (to put in so many words).

cfitzarl said:
You could make a GeForce 6200 into a GeForce 6800 by increasing the clock speed and unlocking the pixel pipelines.

You are correct there however they corrected this problem very quickly (about 1 month) and it is a error that they will surely not make again.

btw where did you see it could be changed from a 6200 to a 6800. i was under the impression that it could only be changed to a 6600

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back