Video Card compatibility / mobo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ray

Hi
I have an Intel D865GBF mobo and I can get a Radeon X1600 Pro 256mb AGP video card for a reasonable price. Is the video card compatible with the mobo? How do I find this out?

Most of the old 865 chipset boards are AGP, so it probably is. That's a good card. You can check the INTEL website to be exact.

Yes, the video card is compatible with your motherboard, as you do appear to have an AGP8x slot for graphics cards.

The next question would be, will your current PSU be up to the task? Open up your case and have a look at the PSU. How many watts is it rated at, and how many amps does it have on the +12v rail (you can find this info on the sticker attached to the PSU itself).

My mobo is AGP slotted, I was wondering if there was a cutoff for the number on the newer AGP cards. Great if I can upgrade the graphics card. I can look inside tomorrow and see what the size of my PSU is but if I have to upgrade the PSU as well I am willing to do that too. Is there anything else I should be looking at upgrading while I'm looking into this?

What kind of games are you wanting to be able to play (I assume that is why you want to upgrade your graphics card).

You'll notice a HUGE gaming performance in going from your 9200 to the new card. Huge.

Your CPU is a little dated, but not too bad. It depends really on what level of games you are hoping to play. You already have a gig of ram, so you're good there.... looks like the GPU is your main priority (and possibly a PSU as well).

I am running a 9200se video card now. The Intel site didn't have any info on this subject that I could see. What size PSU should I use if I install the X1600 Pro agp card?

I have a file on how to buy a PSU that I will have to read again but I think it depends on 2 factors..watts and amps. That's why it has to be a quality one. I did check out my PSU months ago and it was a good one from what I can remember, but I'll check it out again to be sure. I am not expecting the world from the new graphics card. I only want to put off buying a new computer as this one is only 2 1/2 years old. I have played Doom3, Prince of Persia 1,2 and 3 but it ran too slow to play Two Thrones to enjoy adequately. I got King Kong and it ran at 13 fps (I use Fraps) Choke Choke!! The new games coming out will not run smoothly now if King Kong didn't. I can play Call of Duty 2 ok, the fps are decent but I know if I get a better card then the whole game will look much better. Besides I know all of my games I have now will run so much smoother on the higher end card.

I can tell you have done your homework :)

Yes, that is why I am recommending a quality PSU, mainly for the number of amps, particularly on the +12v rail as this is where the graphics card draws it's power. For a mid level graphics card, you'll want to have around 18amps or so (minimum) but ideally 24amps or more to be safe.

By the way, what is your budget? The 1600 lineup is mid level, but it will have a hard time with the newest games on the market today. I know I know, people are always going to try and recommend you spend more and more money. That's not my intention here. Just curious about your budget and what site you are shopping at. Maybe we can find you a better deal, I don't know.

By the way, some great reading here to compare various cards. Have a peek:
http://www23.tomshardware.com/graphics.html

I have a choice of Connect3d and a Sapphire card. Would it make much difference if I choose the Connect3d card because it's about $40 cheaper then the Sapphire one.

Well, if you are willing to go up to $200 I'd highly recommend the 7600GS card. Very powerful for the money, and they use less power than the X1600 cards as well.

And it is much cheaper on this site: www.tigerdirect.ca (on tigerdirect the 7600GS is about the same price as the X1600 on that site you are currently looking at)

Doesnt AGP x4/x8 have 7800s?

If there is a 7800 AGP, upgrade to that one but... if there isnt then get the 7600 that DonNagual suggested ;)

True, he did say that. If that's the case then the 7800gs is a much better choice. I am just assuming that if he is originally looking at a $170ish card that in a sense he does have a buget... just guessing ;)

If you ctrl-alt-del it'll bring up the task manager. At the bottom it tells you the CPU usage.

Just curious, but why are you asking? Do you think you have a problem there or something?

I don't have a budget but I don't want to spend lots of money just for the sake of spending it either. You have to realise I have been using a 9200 for the past 2 plus years and was satisfied with the performance for the most part. I only want to upgrade to a reasonably better card. My computer isn't state of the art now or was it before...just a decent one. In a year or so from now I'll most likely buy a new computer. I think the X1600 Pro will do a decent job for me. Let me know your views on this....:)

The CPU Utilization was asked for in the PSU calculator. It said with the data that I provided that I needed a 286 watt PSU and my PSU is 350 watt and has 15 Amps at +12V

Hi DonNagual

You said: If you ctrl-alt-del it'll bring up the task manager. At the bottom it tells you the CPU usage.

You lost me. What do I need this for?

Ray said:
Hi DonNagual

You said: If you ctrl-alt-del it'll bring up the task manager. At the bottom it tells you the CPU usage.

You lost me. What do I need this for?

I wasn't sure what you meant when you asked for the CPU utilization. To me that typically means you want to know what percent your CPU is working at. The task manager will give you that answer, but now I know that this is not what you were wanting to know. You were wanting to know what CPU utilization setting you should set for the PSU calculator.

Leave it at the default 85%. :)

It's a close call, but your current PSU might be enough for a 7600GT graphics card. It requires a minimum 350w power supply, and ideally you should be up around 18-24amps on the +12v rail. Yours has 15amps.

I'd stay with your current PSU and give it a try. Worse thing that can happen is the graphics card won't work and you'll need a new power supply.

Something like this $30 PSU would likely work very well for you:
http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1273331&CatId=0

It is a budget level power supply, but it appears to put out stable voltages according to the reviews. Ultra has had a bad repuation for PSUs for many years, but lately they seem to be turning that around and actually building good PSUs. Personally, I would not put an Ultra PSU in my computer. I would spend the extra money and get something from Antec, Enermax etc. One of the name brand companies that have proven themselves over the years. But everyone has a budget. If you were in the states, I'd recommend a power supply from FSB. They are very well priced and extremely reliable, but I have yet to be able to find FSB power supplies from any Canadian online shopping sites. The one I link you to above is one of the better (cheap) power supplies they have listed in their inventory.

Hope this helps!

I prefer to buy from brick and mortar stores and living in the Waterloo near the Universities we get fairly good computer places to shop at. I think I'll go with the X1600 Pro for now. Hopefully the computer store has someone who can figure out if my PSU will handle it. If not I could upgrade to a decent 450 watt. It's only $129 for the X1600 Pro as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back