Video card compatibility problem

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard: K8MC51G (emachines-W 3107)
FSB: 1500 MHz
Processor: AMD Sempron 3100

My frineds computer, she was sold a Zotac Nvidia Geforce 8400GS 64bit video card and was told it would work in her computer. After installing it the computer will not even power up. What could be the problem, other than the card is not compatible?

If the card can be physically installed, then it's probably compatible. You may need to upgrade the power supply since eMachines are notoriously underpowered systems.

If the motherboard has onboard video (meaning the graphics card is built into the board) then it needs to be disabled before the new card is used. Also make sure that the old drivers are uninstalled before installing the new graphics card.

thank you, we disabled the onboard video, but did not uninstall the drivers. But the computer doesnt even power up with the card installed, so i would guess it is the power supply. That is cheaper than a new motherboard.

thank you, we disabled the onboard video, but did not uninstall the drivers. But the computer doesnt even power up with the card installed, so i would guess it is the power supply. That is cheaper than a new motherboard.
While emachines powersupplies are underpowered, it would probably still power up.
When does it stop turning on?

Motherboard: K8MC51G (emachines-W 3107)
FSB: 1500 MHz
Processor: AMD Sempron 3100

My frineds computer, she was sold a Zotac Nvidia Geforce 8400GS 64bit video card and was told it would work in her computer. After installing it the computer will not even power up. What could be the problem, other than the card is not compatible?
You didn't say if removing the card again, causes the problem to go away.Just curious

Well yes, a PSU is cheaper than a mobo, especially an OEM board such as yours.

ok..we disabled the onboard, installed the new card, plugged the pc back in, hit the on button....nothing. no fans, no beeps, no sounds at all, take the card out, and it works fine.
I have found, i dont care for emachines...lol

Minimum of a 350 Watt power supply.
(Minimum recommended power supply with +12 Volt current rating of 18 Amp Amps.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back