Video card crash nvlddmkm error?

blue3125

For the past week or so, I've been experiencing my screen freezing when I watch certain youtube videos. It also happens when I play certain games which would either sometimes reset the screen and have everything go back to normal or have a BSOD which says something has stopped and something to do with nvlddmkm.

Below are my system information and attached is picture of error I sometimes get as well as minidump.

OS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium , Service Pack 1, 64 bit
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q8400 @ 2.66GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 23 Stepping 10
Processor Count: 4
RAM: 8191 Mb
Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce GT 220, 3 Mb
Hard Drives: C: Total - 349645 MB, Free - 257054 MB; D: Total - 350295 MB, Free - 83611 MB;
Motherboard: Acer, EG43M, ,
Antivirus: None

Attachments

• 070111-31215-01.zip
    113.8 KB · Views: 1
  • Error.bmp
    94.9 KB · Views: 3
Sounds like a video card driver issue. I suggest doing the following...

1. Download Driver Sweeper free version to your desktop screen and install.

2. Download the latest diver(s) for your video card but don't install them.

3. Uninstall your video card drivers and reboot your PC into Safe Mode. Run Driver Sweeper and remove ONLY the video card drivers. I had someone use it on their chipset drivers! If it doesn't find any video card drivers that is quite okay; just leave all other drivers alone.

4. Reboot and install new video card drivers.

I've already done so before, but I realized that I am lacking chipset drivers for my video card. Would that have a cause on my crashing?

I've done as you asked before by restarting in safe mode, sweeping the drivers, then reinstalling the latest drivers. However it seemed that it would lag to a crawl after I reach the desktop and the computer would crash. After this I had sweeped the drivers again and my computer is able to handle youtube with no problems. However, I cannot play games without these drivers. Is there any reason why drivers cause my computer do crash?

Let's approach this from a slightly different angle. Totally uninstall all Nvidia drivers/software and physically uninstall your card as well.

Now reinstall the card to motherboard and install the software/drivers that came with the card. Does this bring stability?

I will attempt that tomorrow. If it would be suitable, may I send you a private message on the results once I have done so?

It would be better to answer here.

By the way your error code with definition is 0x116: VIDEO_TDR_ERROR

This indicates that an attempt to reset the display driver and recover from a timeout failed.

I have done what you said by removing the card and reinstalling the drivers. It seemed to be noticeable improvement as I wouldn't freeze and crash upon the first youtube video. However I did receive a crash (not BSOD but just a screen reset after brief period of time) upon Alt+Tabbing out of my warcraft client. Is there any other alternatives that may fix this problem before I jump to the conclusion I need to buy a new video card?

What make is your power supply and how much wattage does it say it supplies?

Also, update your graphic drivers.

What make is it? Also, check all fans top see if they are working correctly especially the video card fan.

However I did receive a crash (not BSOD but just a screen reset after brief period of time) upon Alt+Tabbing out of my warcraft client. Is there any other alternatives that may fix this problem before I jump to the conclusion I need to buy a new video card?

A periodic problem with MS updates
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/hardware/gg487368.aspx

One thing I would try first:

Open the Nvidia Control panel
Expand "3D Settings" in the left-hand pane
Click "Manage 3D settings"
Click on the "Global Settings" tab in the right-hand pane
Look for "Multi-Display/mixed-GPU acceleration" and make sure "Single-display performance mode" is selected (sometimes "Multiple display performance mode" is selected as default. If you change the setting to Single-display, click "Apply" and exit. See how you get on with the setting.

If the problem persists then I would follow the steps outlined in the first post >>here<<

A lot more stable, still happens but not as often (once after 8 hours?) Guess it can't be completely fixed but made a lot better, thank you.

This may be in the guide that Dividebyzero gave but I didn't have time to read it all. You may find when you check that the driver nvlddmkm.sys in the windows driver folder has not been updated so you need to do it manually. You should not still be having problems unless it is due to this problem or the card has a fault. If the below guide does not fix it then follow the additional instructions to test the card.

Navigate to your C:\Windows\System32\drivers (assuming Windows is installed in C). Look for nvlddmkm.sys and hover your mouse over it. If this driver version number is different from the latest driver version, it needs to replaced. So what you do is:

If Windows is installed on any other drive than C: then substitute the correct letter.

1. Download the latest driver version and extract the contents of the .exe file (this should happen when you double click on the .exe, if not, use 7zip to extract it).
2. Rename your current nvlddmkm.sys file to nvlddmkm.sys.old in C:\Windows\System32\drivers folder.
3. Look for nvlddmkm.sy_ in the folder where you extracted the latest drivers.
4. Copy nvlddmkm.sy_ to C:\Windows\System32\drivers folder.
5. Open command prompt in Administrator mode (start menu->programs->accessories->right click command prompt->Run as Administrator).
6. Type cd C:\Windows\System32\drivers
7. Type expand nvlddmkm.sy_ nvlddmkm.sys
8. Reboot computer.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Follow this to test the card.

Download this: http://www.ozone3d.net/benchmarks/fur/

FurMark Setup:
- If you have more than one GPU, select Multi-GPU during setup
- In the Run mode box, select "Stability Test" and "Log GPU Temperature"
Click "Go" to start the test
- Run the test until the GPU temperature maxes out - or until you start having problems (whichever comes first).
NOTE: Set the alarm to go off at 90ºC. Then watch the system from that point on. If the system doesn't display a temperature, watch it constantly and turn it off at the first sign of video problems. DO NOT leave it unmonitored, it can DAMAGE your video card!!!
- Click "Quit" to exit

thanks for the previous tips, i have already done what you asked but error still exists. Strange enough when I run the furmark test it runs just fine with no errors until i reach the max

What temp did it get up to when you had the error?

Have you got a temperature monitor that will show you how hot it is getting when you are running videos or playing games, if not this might do it. http://www.techpowerup.com/gpuz/

Have you checked that the cooler is completely clean?

I've just tested it, my cooler is completely clean and I got an error after running it several times. The error i get would show as soon as I opened furmark after a few tests in which it states that the connection with graphics driver has been lost before i get the familiar screen lag that may eventually lead to a crash.

Well, looking at all the possibilities I would have to say the card is faulty.

Before running out and buying a new one though, I would test it in another PC and run some graphics demanding games just to see if it plays up. If it is ok in another PC then we need to look deeper for the problem on yours. It might even be related to your memory, some graphics cards do use some of the RAM.

Back