Video Card Does Not Fit!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

JimothyFredward

I buy a new computer. It works great, so I decide to buy games. Ooo! Ahh! Games! So I buy a game and It doesn't work well. So I contact the support team and for about 2 week s we e-mail back and forth and they tell me it is the video card. So I say "OK" and I buy a video card. After about a week the video card comes in the mail and I rush home to install it and play my newly well functioning and IT DOESN'T FIT! WTF!!! What should I do now???

lol, don't panick!

We need to know what video card slot firstly. AGP? PCI? PCI-X?

I will guess however that it is AGP. There are a couple scenarios that could have happened:

1) You DON'T have an AGP slot and you bought an AGP card and can't fit it into the PCI slots. If this is the case, buy a PCI video card.

2) You HAVE an AGP slot but you bought a PCI video card and it doesn't fit. Well duh! You can't fit PCI into AGP.

3) You bought the wrong speed of AGP video card for your AGP slot. In other words, AGP 1x, 2x, 4x, 8x. I'm not sure exactly, but video cards are not physically compatible with each of those slots. The cut-out in the slot is different based on the speed of it. I know 4x and 8x AGP cards are compatible because most 8x cards SAY they are compatible with 4x. But maybe if your AGP slot is 4x/8x and you bought a 2x or original AGP then it probably would not fit.
This, of course, all depends on what your motherboard has, and what you bought.

So then. What is your motherboard? And what video card did you buy?

I wouldn't be surprised, if you bought a Dell or E-machines or something, that it didn't come with an AGP slot at all. And you went out and bought an AGP video card. That would be my guess.

This is the card I bought: ATI RADEON 9000 64M Radeon 9000 64MB DDR AGP 2X/4X Video Card - OEM

This is the link for more detailed specs: http://www.newegg.com/product/product.asp?item=N82E16814102386

My computer is Dell Dimension 3000. I don't know my AGP's from my PCI's. I am what some would call technology retarded.

As Vigilante said maybe no AGp on dell and this is probable agp slot. But the slot would fit the card however the case is to small the physically have the card in the slot inside of it.

P.S. no idea what motherboard

it's not much you can do with it, without an agp slot rated at 8X or 4X or pci express, you're pretty much doomed, man. sorry.

JimothyFredward said:
...But the slot would fit the card however the case is to small the physically have the card in the slot inside of it.

Are you positive the slot and card are compatible? Just no room? Those slots are very much alike and if you can't actually push it in there, it may be hard to tell.

One easy way to tell your slots apart is that an AGP slot is ONLY for video. And there would be only ONE of them. The PCI slots you probably have at least 3 of them. And you may already have a modem or some such device plugged into one.
The AGP slot is offset to the right from the PCI slots, and is also usually colored different (brown mostly). While PCI slots are usually white.

So if you look in the case and see 3 or 4 white slots in a column. Look at the top of those slots, if there is one more, colored differently and offset to the right, that is your AGP. If you don't have such a slot, you are stuck in PCI.

Don't despair though, there are still a few gaming-decent PCI video cards out there. Since you bought that particular card (not exactly the best), I would say there ARE PCI video cards out there that can match it in performance, easily.

If so, look for a PCI video card that has 128mb of RAM, which supports DirectX9 and Hardware T&L (transform and lighting). You should be fine. Assuming you find a card that can fit, width wise.

cheers

Hey don't fret it we all in the same boat, start with the video card send it back. take your time to save n' your new machine will be up and running for u know it, peace.

The slot is the same as the insert for the card however I think that they are all PCI and from what I have seen that won't work for an AGP card, such as the one I have, I'm thinking new PCI card, new mobo, or even new computer. Any more insight on the situation?

You simply purchased an AGP videocard when your 3000 has no AGP slot.

You should consider upgrading to a new system with an AGP slot, or even possibly PCI-Express (different PCI) which is the new, upcoming standard.

Baring this, you can still upgrade the video on your Dell Dimension 3000 by purchasing a PCI Videocard. ATI has PCI versions of their 9200 cards, as well as NVIDIA having 5500/5700 series available in PCI versions.

Heh, I bought a E-GeForce 7800 GTX and it ALMOST doesn't fit my case. I had to barely squeeze my PCI-E Power Cord in. I have a NZXT Nemesis Elite case... very bad fit for that GeForce. I almost freaked when I thought it didn't fit... I was so scared...

Don't throw out the dell

Your Dell 3000 product details................

http://www1.us.dell.com/content/products/productdetails.aspx/dimen_3000?c=us&cs=04&l=en&s=bsd
--------------------------------------------------------------------

With a mid-range video upgrade like a PCI 128mb video card GF 5200 or less even, and bring up the ram to 512mb u can have a decent machine for less than $80 if you shop around for rebates ($60 for the video and $20 for the ram). It will run high end features of a game just not all of them at the same time. It will require a little balancing like mid-range graphics textures and high end effects on mid to off depending on the game.

you probably have on PCI slots because it is a micro tower from a name brand. If there is not a slot that looks different just above the PCI slots then you do not have AGP. You can get a PCI card for $60. They are actually more than AGP eventhough they are slower.

A PCI videocard can work just fine. I put a PCI video card in a Compaq with no AGP. If was a GF 5200 with 128 megs of video ram.

You will need atleast 512mb of ram for windows XP in the background too for a computer like this.

Doing this transformed this machine into a decent all around computer that can handle basic stuff swiftly and squeeze out a game with enhanced video features.

The problems arise with these Micro type computers is that they were designed for internet and word processing. So putting too much in will overload the power supply. If you do not have alot of drives in it, and just put the videocard in you should be ok. Maybe even a soundcard with EAX gaming surround sound. But anything that is not used should be taken out. You probably have a 250 watt power supply.

Component Wattage Required:
Motherboard 15-30
Low-End CPU 20-50
Mid To High-End CPU 40-100
RAM 7 per 128MB
PCI Add-In Card 5
Low To Mid-Range Graphics 20-60
High-End Graphics 60-100
IDE Hard Drive 10-30
Optical Drives 10-25

250 watts is doable. Just take out unneeded stuff and don't overdue the upgades. Too much ram, multiple drives, using every PCI slot, and highend video with cause it to shutdown. You might even want to disconnect/turn off some USB devices if they are hooked up and not used. If you have highspeed internet and do not use the modem for faxing take it out. Add the important stuff like video and sound for games then add/turn on the stuff rarely used one by one and see how the machine holds up. A Pentium 4 uses more power, so that means a older videocard will have to be used with it for example.

My Compaq has:
25O watts power
2.5 Celeron CPU
PCI only
GF 5200 PCI 128mb
512 windows ram
Soundblaster 24bit Audio with EAX f3.0 for 5.1 surround sound gaming
One hard drive
One DVD drive
2 case fans front and back added - because micro towers usually run way to hot with just a power supply fan and a CPU fan. Had to use washers for the front fan because the vent holes were too big. :approve:

The advantage of AGP over PCI in performance only matters when you start running a bunch of stuff in the background of the game with Windows like doing internet gaming or mulitasking with a game running. This is info from the Tech at Nvidia that makes Geforce videocards. So a PCI 5200 and a AGP 5200 are essentially the same with a game until u want to kill someone on the internet. Going on the internet will require turning down the graphics some, but not enough to make the game look that bad. With the internet it is good to turn it down anyway for less latency.

Also turn down Windows XP graphics. It is a hog. Make it look like the old windows and you will speed things up. Go to system properties then Advanced then were it says performance goto settings, and turn most of it off. This stuff is mostly fluff anyway.

You can transform this machine. You have to do a little reading and additon/subtraction, but it is not a total waste.

My high end machine has a 425 watt power supply for an Athlon 2900 CPU with a GF 5500 w/256 mb card. I built it myself and I will never buy a retail computer again. It is the best running machine I ever had and it was less than half what it would cost to buy it... $300 for the tower.

Advice... use the same manufacture for the ram if it is more than one stick being used in the machine. Ram is not tested combined with other manufacture's ram.

Let me know how it works out.

problems with graphics cards not fitting in dell compluter

I am very familary with this problem. In order to get the graphics card to fit you can cut a few of the heat senks off of the north fork. NOT all just a couple of rows then the graphics card will fit. I had to do the same thing. now when I am looking for a mobo that is the first thing that I am concerned with is WILL IT FIT!!!. I love the new graphics cards they have out now but Dam they are huge.

To clarify, your Dell should have a couple PCI slots, so you should only buy one of these: http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=2010380048 1069609642&name=PCI
All cards are overpriced, and are poor performers due to their age, I would go and consult the "So you only have PCI slots and want to game?" thread, they know more than I do.

About the motherboard, I would get a newer motherboard with a PCI-E Express for just over $50, though I do not know about their CPU support, most likely this will pull you into a new CPU too, anyway, your choice. A new CPU and motherboard would cost at least $100 - $150 USD, and with access to more powerful cards your power supply goes into question too...easiest to take a look at the PCI card thread.

After eating an entire bull, a mountain lion felt so good he started roaring. He kept it up until a hunter came along and shot him... The moral When you're full of bull, keep your mouth shut.
Haha, great quote :D.

Save your money, you can build a machine for 400 usd or so that's 5x faster all around. We understand you dont have tons of money, but to invest in your old machine is like invest in billboards, after the internet has come out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back