TechSpot

Video Card External Power Supply Question

By jnava121
Feb 10, 2007
  1. Hi,

I have a Gateway GT 5082 ( Athlon 64 X2 , 2ghz flavor) I believe I have 2 problems if I want to purchase a decent video card. The stock power supply i believe is only 300W. Probably need around 400W to power a good video Card.

It comes with a PCI Express slot but even if I had the recommended power supply I really dont see an empty slot on the motherboard to put in the power connection from a new video card ( such as the nVidia 7950 GT ).

Do they sell external power supplies that I could run indepently of my computer and just power a video card? It would seem like a pain in the *** to replace the oem power supply so let me know what you think!

Yes I know there is an inherently 3rd problem the fact that I purchased a gateway haha... but just looking for some solutions here.

Thanks

2. cfitzarl

cfitzarl TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,520   +9

Welcome to Techspot jnava121 :wave: ! Yes, the do make dedicated psu's, although the only one I know of is made by thermaltake, which I have due to a similar issue. If you live in the U.S., then look Here. Don't be thrown off by the wattage, becuase this thing will power up to a GeForce 8800GTS. Yes, it should also power a 7950GT as well. Good luck!

3. nickc

nickc TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,634

jnava121,

actually the one thing u really do need to replace in that computer is the power supply, Gateway, just like any other OEM machine maker puts the bare essence in their machines and a new power supply could save u lots of headaches.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.