Video Card External Power Supply Question

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,

I have a Gateway GT 5082 ( Athlon 64 X2 , 2ghz flavor) I believe I have 2 problems if I want to purchase a decent video card. The stock power supply i believe is only 300W. Probably need around 400W to power a good video Card.

It comes with a PCI Express slot but even if I had the recommended power supply I really dont see an empty slot on the motherboard to put in the power connection from a new video card ( such as the nVidia 7950 GT ).

Do they sell external power supplies that I could run indepently of my computer and just power a video card? It would seem like a pain in the *** to replace the oem power supply so let me know what you think!

Yes I know there is an inherently 3rd problem the fact that I purchased a gateway haha... but just looking for some solutions here.

Thanks

Welcome to Techspot jnava121 :wave: ! Yes, the do make dedicated psu's, although the only one I know of is made by thermaltake, which I have due to a similar issue. If you live in the U.S., then look Here. Don't be thrown off by the wattage, becuase this thing will power up to a GeForce 8800GTS. Yes, it should also power a 7950GT as well. Good luck!

jnava121,

actually the one thing u really do need to replace in that computer is the power supply, Gateway, just like any other OEM machine maker puts the bare essence in their machines and a new power supply could save u lots of headaches.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back