TechSpot

Video Card FPS Drops

By mikeaaronc
Apr 26, 2007
  1. When I am playing games my FPS will drop drastically for no reason whatsoever. It will go from smooth to almost unplayable every 30 seconds to a minute, then it will go back to being fine. It doesn't matter if there is a lot of action on the screen or not. I seem to notice it happen a lot more often when playing RTS games like Supreme Commander and Command and Conquer 3. I didn't really notice it that much on older games like half life 2 and doom 3 when I tried them... Maybe because they aren't as graphically challenging?

Ive tried installing the latest drivers for my mobo and my video card. I even tried rolling back my vidcard drivers to older ones and using driver cleaner profesional to clean any unwanted driver files that could cause problems...

I have run multiple spyware checks using multiple programs and have run multiple virus checks also. I don't think its an overheating issue because I haven't had this problem before and haven't added anything. Also I have a sufficient PSU (Thermaltake truepower 450W). Im using formating as a last result because its such a dang pain. I guess I am running out of ideas on what it could be other than my video card or mobo dying.

I did recently add 2 512 sticks of corsair ram and added a hitachi 320 GB SATA hard drive. Could SATA be chugging my system down somehow?

Specs:
    AMD Athlon 64 3500
    Gigabyte nforce3 ultra 250GB K8N939-SC Chipset
    2 Gig Corsair Value Select Dual Channel RAM
    Western digital Caviar 80 GB
    Hitachi 320 Gig SATA HD

2. raybay

raybay TS Evangelist Posts: 10,716   +6

SATA drive should not be part of the problem. You might have a slight memory mismatch, as Corsair Value Select is a bit slower, more problematic memory. What happens when you use only matched modules?

3. mikeaaronc

mikeaaronc TS Rookie Topic Starter

I actually bought the same exact ram to avoid incompatibility issues so I now have 4 512 sticks... I thought maybe somehow sata might be chugging if its not working right..

Update:

I opened up my case and noticed an insane amount of dust and hair in the thing that wasn't there a month ago. I pulled my video card out and actually took a vacuum cleaner hose and sucked up all the crap and made sure all the connecters on the agp bus itself and the card were clean. I then took my processor fan off and noticed an enormous clump of hair and crap and dust lodged in between the heatsink so i sucked that up as much as i could and pryed the rest with my fingers LOL.

To my surprise I haven't had a hiccup yet in c&c 3 even once! Before the game would chug every 30 seconds, I played for about 45 mins straight to see if it would happen.

It must of been either a heating problem from all the dust or a bad connection from the dusty connectors. This could be an issue that many people have had before but never bothered to check.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.