Not open for further replies.
Hey all,
Here is the system I have:

Sony Vaio
Mother board that came with the computer
P4 3.6 Ghz (not dual core)
1GB Kingston PC-3200 Ram
ATI 256MB X800 XL PCI-E
I only get about 60 FPS average when I play counter-strike source.
If I upgrade my graphics card to a Geforce 7800GTX or 7900 GTX, would I be able to get more FPS? Like how much more?

Thanks 4 help.

yes, you would get more FPS, but probably marginal. 60 FPS is great for any game - you can crank up your graphics settings a bit more with a frame rate like that. The human eye really can't tell the difference between 30 and 60 FPS.

So yes, you'd get a few more frames, but it would be essentially wasted money. Wait a while until your graphics card starts getting choppy on a game before you waste your money on a new card.

While I disagree that buying a new graphics card is waste I strongly agree with waiting. Instead of spending £200 on a card now, wait till things are choppy (say in a years time) and then buy one. Whatever you get then will probably be alot better than what you would get now. Its a lot more cost effective to wait.

Are you sure that 60fps isn't artificially capped?

What do you get in the cs-source stress test? That system should easily tromp >100fps in that benchmark (more to the tune of 100-130 fps depending on resolution and settings).

60fps sounds too precise. It could be vsync, temporal aa forced vsync or in game fps max set to 60. I'd start by running the cs-stress test to see if that performance is actually indicative of your system performance.

While I do think that the human eye can easily distinguish between 30 and 60 fps, I would agree with waiting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back