Video card help radeon series

Status
Not open for further replies.

redpikachu12

Hello so im not so good with all the terms but i can get some of them so in the responses keep it to a minimum please

I have a radeon 9000 series and i was wondering if this card can run any of the half life 2 series at all or decently. ive tried it and its failed so far but i might be doing something wrong

my other option is to upgrade my graphics card to a better one.... but i only have pci slots. i saw a article earlier about gaming with pci slots but i would like some one on one feed back.

please look at this guys article and tell me which card would be best for half life 2 series, team fortress 2, and overlord (may or may not be getting this one) www.techspot.com/vb/topic51437.html please any feed back would be great.

my specs are
compaq presario
2.5gb ram
radeon 9000 series
pentium[R] 4 cpu 2.93ghz, 2.93ghz

Hi redpikachu,
running any kind of modern game with a pci interface is a struggle, they demand more throughput than a pci card has to offer. however you mentioned half life 2 which is highly scalable, have a look at this,
The full spec readout is a little loose for now and probably will be until close to the launch date for Half-Life 2, but by all accounts VALVe has implemented a scaling system that should allow the game to run on some very modest pc configurations. The following is about as low as you should go.

* 700mhz Processor
* 128 mb of RAM
* 64 mb Video Card

PC Gamer magazine even said, "More amazingly, HL2 will not only take advantage of the next-gen capabilities of a P4 3Ghz-level system running the newest DX9-powered 3D cards from NVIDIA and ATI, but it'll also reportedly be fully scalable all the way back to a mid-range PC running a DX6-compatable TNT card." While this remains to be seen, and trying to run Half-Life 2 on minimum specs will certainly detract from the overall experience, gamers with aging hardware may not be left out in the cold come September 30th. big grin

Official Half-Life 2 Box minimum specs:

* Processor: 1.2 GHz Processor
* Graphic card: DirectX 7 level graphics card
* Hard Drive: 4.5 GB
* Memory: 256 MB RAM
* Other: Internet Connection, DVD-ROM Drive
both of these cards would be an upgrade from the radeon 9000 series you are currently running:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814187083
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814161283
don't pay extra for the 1GB versions, it will not yield you any more performance.
other than that, if you plan on gaming on newer titles than this, you might consider saving the $100 you would spend on the pci card and putting towards a newer system with pcie capabilities. happy gaming :) and welcome to Techspot.

'decent' is subjective, however, if you can give me some info on what your maximum budget is,what resolution you want to game at, if you would want to build it yourself,can you order from online, and other expectations or capabilities you require. i would be happy to give you some ideas on what can be had for how much.

well myy budget is about 250 right now cause i have no job but im thinking in the future im thinking about 1000 max. im not too picky on things just a good all around computer, cause ill probly strip the memory from my current one and put it on the new one so mainly good video card, good cpu, and good storage space

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back